Question about LAMDA exams

(8 Posts)
Dancergirl Fri 22-Jul-16 13:36:19

I think I read somewhere that if you get a distinction for a LAMDA acting exam you can skip the next grade. Does anyone know if that's true?

LocalEditorMerton Fri 22-Jul-16 13:48:48

Dancergirl, DC1 does LAMDA and got a distinction in their Level 5 this year. However, we've had no notification that it will enable them to skip a level. I have heard it said that if someone gets distinctions in Grade 6 it equates to an GCSE A*, although have not seen anything to confirm that this is the case.

This might help you: www.lamda.org.uk/examinations/about-examinations.

Balletgirlmum Fri 22-Jul-16 13:53:13

There are no rules(other than recommended ages) as to what grades someone must take.

I've entered older students straight in for Grades 4/5 for example. My daughter did Grades 1 & 2 when she was in junior school then temporarily stopped her lessons & when she took it up again went straight to Grade 4

Grades 4/5 are Level 2 qualifications on the qualifications framework so equivalent to GCSE level.

A Grade 8 Distinction being Level 3 will give you roughly the same UCAS points as half an A Level

Balletgirlmum Fri 22-Jul-16 13:56:02

In the past when I've had a new student I have decided to play it safe & enter them for a low grade. If they've then aced that grade with a high distinction I might think they are capable of skipping a grade.

Dancergirl Fri 22-Jul-16 14:05:59

I never knew that thank you balletmum I thought they had to do every grade. Dd is 13 and new to LAMDA exams although she has a lot of acting experience. She was entered for Grade 1 by her Saturday drama school and has just got a distinction. She would like to catch up a bit though, should I ask them if she can do a higher grade rather than Grade 2?

Dancergirl Fri 22-Jul-16 14:06:16

She got 86 btw.

LIZS Fri 22-Jul-16 14:08:38

Dd started at grade 3 aged 11. You definitely don't need to go through each and every. She has mixed the type of exam too.

Balletgirlmum Fri 22-Jul-16 14:39:06

I had a similar aged student last year. I entered her for Grade 2.

Perhaps see if she could try Grade 3. I'd say perhaps not Grade 4 as that Grade goes up a notch in terms of marking criteria etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now