Grade 1 piano exam questions

(15 Posts)
bobinsky Mon 04-Jul-16 19:27:08

My dd sits her grade 1 this week, can anyone give me some ideas about what questions she'll be asked alongside the best clapping and pitch singing?

KayJBee Mon 04-Jul-16 19:34:14

There's the 3 pieces, scales and broken chords, sight reading and aural test.
A quick google will tell you everything.

us.abrsm.org/en/our-exams/piano/piano-grade-1/

bobinsky Mon 04-Jul-16 20:00:48

Yes, I know about the hearing tests, pitch etc alongside playing her 3 pieces, scales and sight reading, just wondered really if she was going to be quizzed further on her musical knowledge.
I meant to put beat clapping instead of best clapping before confused

elsiemarleysellsthebarley Mon 04-Jul-16 20:12:22

You can download the abrsm aural trainer app to practice the aural tests which will give you a clear idea of what is expected. It's free for grade 1. Just double check which exam board it is, trinity have similar but different questions.

onlymusic Mon 04-Jul-16 20:32:05

I find this video very informative
www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4FBBFsLNek

bobinsky Mon 04-Jul-16 20:42:09

Thank you elsie and only

Wafflenose Mon 04-Jul-16 21:30:31

No musical knowledge questions or general chit-chat with ABRSM. Aural consists of clapping the beat, naming time signature, singing three short echoes, spot the difference, and answering two questions about a piece played by the examiner.

bobinsky Mon 04-Jul-16 21:40:23

Thanks waffle it seems different to other music exams my kids have done - up to grade 5 on recorders - they needed to know musical terms on those, that's what's thrown me!

Ferguson Wed 06-Jul-16 19:47:36

I always try and encourage people to play with as much STYLE, FEELING and sympathy for the mood of the pieces. So, even though they may simple pieces make them as good as possible, and give the examiner an enjoyable experience!

irvineoneohone Sun 10-Jul-16 07:34:33

Do all the children need to do exams eventually?

JudyCoolibar Sun 10-Jul-16 07:45:28

Does she have a piano teacher? Hasn't she practised these things with your daughter?

Balletgirlmum Sun 10-Jul-16 23:45:26

Which exam board?

Trinity have a viva voce instead of theory but ABRSM don't.

Dancergirl Mon 11-Jul-16 08:20:12

Has the teacher not advised you about this?

Balletgirlmum Mon 11-Jul-16 11:46:13

I know that Trinity is a popular exam board amongst recorder teachers so if your dd is used to that Trinity where you are asked questions about the pieces then she may not realise that ABRSM don't have those questions.

LilyBolero Thu 21-Jul-16 22:42:00

Grade 1 piano aural;
1. Clap the beat. Is it in 2 or 3?
2. Sing back 3 echoes - in time.
3. Spot the difference - is it at the beginning or end?
4. Musical features - loud/quiet playing (including does it change gradually/suddenly), smooth/detached playing.

That's it for aural.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now