Grade 3 clarinet - how long?

(3 Posts)
Vco001 Tue 26-Apr-16 14:30:22

Hi all,

we just moved here from California this past fall and I am not too familiar with the ABRSM exams. I am not sure how long I should expect for my son to prepare for this exam. My son's teacher said he may be ready by the end of the summer term but now he says November. I am wondering if my son isn't doing enough practicing at home or if I need to make sure my son's teacher is doing enough to prepare him. I feel that Jan-Juy should be enough to prepare for a grade three test. Please give me some advice as I have no idea how these tests work.

Thank you in advance

raspberryrippleicecream Tue 26-Apr-16 17:40:40

We need more info,rmation? Where was he starting from? How much practice is your son doing at home?

I can't link on my phone but if you search ABRSM syllabus, you can easily find the specifications for the Grade, including scales etc.

Ferguson Tue 26-Apr-16 18:57:39

It depends partly on what other music activities he does: does he also play piano or keyboard (which both make Theory more accessible)? Does he play in any school or other ensembles?

There is more to learning music than just passing exams. What is he (and you aiming) at long-term? And how keen is he, and does he enjoy playing and striving for progress?

If you haven't yet seen it, the BBC Young Musician series is currently on BBC4 TV, and woodwind was a couple of weeks ago: three flutes, recorder and saxophones - no clarinet I'm afraid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now