Suzuki violin book 1

(7 Posts)
ReallyTired Wed 16-Mar-16 01:58:40

How long does it take to get through book 1? I know there are tales on the Internet of children flying through it in weeks, but families I met in real life all seem to take at least two year, many of them much longer. There is much technique to learn in the first book. I am surprised that a young child can build the strength and stamina needed to play the harder pieces after a few months.

There are videos of children playing on the pieces on YouTube, but the quality of their playing is variable. Dd teacher spends a lot of time perfecting technique. Her students playing is really beautiful and not in the least bit mechanical.

Dd is learning Minuette 2 at the moment. She has been learning for 15 months. She can't read music yet, but I am not too worried as she us only six years old. Dd loves her violin teacher and works hard in her lesson. She does 10 to 15 minutes of practice a day and she does do her listening.

howabout Wed 16-Mar-16 14:35:21

How long is a piece of string? It is a very different approach from tune a week resources like "fiddle time". I imagine it may depend a bit on the group learning approach of the teacher. I love the idea of even the most junior pupils being included and it is very much in line with how traditional fiddle was taught when I was young.

My DD2 struggled with reading music and learning to play at the same time so we went with the Suzuki method, supplemented by me teaching her a variety of traditional tunes and songs she liked by ear. She was 9 rather than 6 and progressed very quickly. When she had mastered playing she found music reading much easier. As a guide, she can confidently play the grade 5 syllabus but we are still dipping into pieces from Suzuki book 4. I would be surprised if many people used the Suzuki books as their only resource though as the selection of pieces is very limited.

At age 6 my own view is that 10 minutes per day is plenty as it takes a lot of concentration and fatigue can lead to embedding bad habits. I would actually encourage learning to read music as a separate exercise as I am still inclined to translate notes into fingerings in my head, as I am primarily a violinist. It is much better to actually "know" the notes.

Noteventhebestdrummer Wed 16-Mar-16 21:32:40

I can get kids through in a year but it's not fun so now I don't try to. Technique and joy in the long journey matter more!

LurkyMcLurcker Mon 04-Jul-16 21:42:33

My DD started at age 4. She completed book 1 in just over a year which her teacher said was fairly quick. I think the average is about 18 months to 2 years.

Book two is a lot more fun BTW!

ReallyTired Tue 05-Jul-16 00:55:21

I think that teachers vary how fussy they are with mastering new pieces. I have seen some graduation videos on YouTube where the children completely lack any musicality.

Dd only has a 20 minute lesson, possibly she would progress faster if she had longer.

musicathome76 Fri 08-Jul-16 13:41:15

For younger kids (4-5-6) it seems to take 12-18 months. I have a 5 year old who started six months ago and is about half-way through the book. It takes longer as it is not just the pieces to learn, but also how to practice effectively and establish a good routine at home.

I also have a 8 year old, who stated in March (3-4 months ago) and is now almost at the end of book 2. I am sure that he'll be at the end of book 2 by September. But for him is a different experience as he can read music, knows how to practice and this is his third instrument with piano and horn at about grade 3 level.

Didiplanthis Mon 08-Aug-16 22:25:27

My dd is 6 and is a bit behind yours I think we are on number 10 having been learning 11 months but her teacher does is it up with other techniques too which I am not sure if is helpful or not. She is just learning to read music now. She seems to enjoy it - I am getting a bit bored now !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now