Grade 1 violin?

(4 Posts)
perfectpanda Wed 10-Feb-16 22:43:22

My dd (8yrs) is working through the first abracadabra violin course and is roughly half way through book 1. Out of interest, if she chooses to do grades, at what level does grade 1 compare to in terms of the abracadabra book. I'm assuming you wouldn't start working towards grade 1 until your well into the 2nd book, but as she has lessons at school I never get to ask her teacher anything!

Ferguson Thu 11-Feb-16 20:01:54

Hi - I've been trying to find more information, but haven't succeeded yet!

I didn't know the Abracadabra series, but I now see they do tuition music for most instruments, including saxophone.

They are published by A&C Black imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing PLC, so I can only suggest you email them, and ask how the series relates to ABRSM Grades, or maybe find a violin student 'blog' that has information.

I would also suggest you obtain some ABRSM music to compare, and encourage her to play from a range of music (car-boot, charity shop etc) to get used to a variety of material.

Noteventhebestdrummer Fri 12-Feb-16 23:34:01

Grade 1 is about the level of the second half of Abracadabra Book 1.
Some of my kids who have taken Grade 2 are still working through the end of the book and finding the pieces easy and fun.

perfectpanda Sat 13-Feb-16 10:57:26

Thanks for your replies. I was shocked at how hard grade 1 piano pieces were. I haven't dared look at the violin ones!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now