Flute books for practising

(6 Posts)
Nimo13 Sat 04-Jul-15 09:15:59

My DD is 12 and studying grade 3 flute. I wanted to get her a couple of flute books that contain solos with a cd that she can practise with over the summer. She's in a number of orchestras so she's fairly accomplished but I want to really improve her sight reading and give her some stretching solo pieces to play to the family. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Wafflenose Sat 04-Jul-15 09:35:30

Look at the Guest Spot series. My DD loves them. They have a big selection including things like ABBA, Show Tunes, Film Themes, 70s/80s/ 90s hits, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Elton John, Christmas... Some of the tunes are Grade 2 ish, and a few are nearer Grade 5-6, depending which book you get. They aren't cheap, but come with CDs. You can play the CDs on your computer with a free download from ABRSM called Speed Shifter, which slows them down to whatever pace you like.

Ferguson Sat 04-Jul-15 23:21:00

The James Rae series of books are excellent. Our DS had several sax books, and I see there is also a flute one:

sendmemusic.com/james-rae-40-modern-studies-for-solo-flute.html

www.universaledition.com/James-Rae/composers-and-works/composer/574/biography

Nimo13 Sun 05-Jul-15 19:21:05

Thank you very much. I'll look them up smile

Ferguson Sun 05-Jul-15 20:19:49

Hi again -

It's unfortunate the James Rae information doesn't tell one much about the pieces, other than titles, which, as they are all 'originals' doesn't convey anything.

The sax books our DS had, some pieces contained a lot of unusual time signatures, such as in 10, 11, 13 etc. That may seem scary but in fact all odd time signatures break down into combinations of 2, 3 or 4 beats, so it is good for reading practice.

And if she would like a REAL challenge (that could last a whole lifetime!) this book of Charlie Parker transcriptions should keep her amused. Many Parker tunes are in fact based on chord sequences of standard popular songs from the '40s and '50s, but re-worked with a new melody, and many will be available via YouTube:

www.justflutes.com/omni-book-charlie-parker-product1093865.html

Nimo13 Mon 06-Jul-15 17:05:38

Thank you I've ordered a guest spot and whilst rummaging for a costume for DD for drama in a charity shop today came across disney flute book with CD so going to try that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now