Extra curricular clubs. Advise for primary school

(12 Posts)
Luna9 Mon 22-Jun-15 21:24:06

Hi

My DC School welcome suggestions of different clubs. What clubs have you found very good and useful for primary school children. ? They currently have baking, yoga, chess, Martial arts, drama and about 10 sports.

Thank you

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Jun-15 17:44:29

For KS2 learning keyboard skills, qwerty not musical. My DN loves choir and my other DN loves her knitting club which takes place at lunchtime.

How about a science club, gardening club or coding club?

BackforGood Tue 23-Jun-15 18:47:19

Sports, French, chess, cookery, and Music (from memory).
By music, I mean choir, Junior Choir, "orchestra" (broadly speaking wink)

I think you have to go with what people can offer though. So, at my dcs school, just after they acquired a couple of 2nd hand table tennis tables, it was discovered that one of the dinner supervisors had been a National level table tennis player about 40+ years ago, so they started a club with her coaching them - but not everybody has that resource.

artforartsake Tue 23-Jun-15 20:16:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Luna9 Tue 23-Jun-15 21:15:40

Thank you very much; there are some very good ideas.

JulieMichelleRobinson Tue 23-Jun-15 22:18:48

Latin. At least, I wanted to at that age. Minimus is excellent.

Luna9 Wed 24-Jun-15 06:51:03

The minimus Latin course looks great. Will need to find someone who can teach it; not sure if it is very common; I think It will be great for the kids.

danceteacheruk Wed 24-Jun-15 10:34:47

Being a dance teacher, I got fed up of dealing with parents who lacked simple skills, such as being able to sew on a ballet shoe elastic! so I spoke to the local primary school where most of our kids go, and we set up a 'backstage' theatre skills club. It's a very broad banner so there's always something interesting on the go... most importantly for me, lots of work on sewing so the kids can do their own shoes!!! smile

So just as a rough guide, we do costume making and mending, make up and hair, prop making, wig making, set design, lighting allsorts. Just recently we had a special effects make up artist come in from Charles Fox... it was a brilliant session and sent all the kids home with bruises and bleeding wounds, prosthetics and allsorts. We also do a lot of work with the local am-dram groups doing costumes and props, so it's great for encouraging wider community involvement.

JulieMichelleRobinson Wed 24-Jun-15 14:36:58

Luna,

I wish I could run it here. smile

Worriedandlost Wed 24-Jun-15 20:34:23

I would add foreign language lessons

Luna9 Wed 24-Jun-15 22:20:01

Thank you; that's a good idea too

Luna9 Wed 24-Jun-15 22:26:35

Thank you; there are all very good ideas. It seems the language have not been very popular with the children as they just want to do fun/relaxing things and don't feel like they are still studying which is a shame; also because schools are now going a language even though I think this is minimum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now