Volunteer with Cubs or Scouts?

(15 Posts)
AalyaSecura Mon 22-Jun-15 15:13:13

There's a need for help with each of our local groups, and I'm trying to work out which is a better fit for me. I have young boys, the oldest is approaching cub age, so I kind of know that age group. Then again, years ago, I was a guide leader, and much preferred guides to brownies, in terms of the kinds of activities you could do with them, but I am quite a lot older now!

Any thoughts on what the main differences are in what's needed for a volunteer in the two groups?

lljkk Mon 22-Jun-15 22:31:46

my experience is that they're all a bit loony, can you handle loons? wink

throckenholt Tue 23-Jun-15 12:02:40

Talking to friends who are cub and scout leaders they prefer the older ones because they can do more interesting things with them, and the kids tend to be less scatty and better at following instructions (although from my observation not much !).

MrsLeighHalfpenny Tue 23-Jun-15 23:21:43

I do Brownies. I think that's a nice age. Old enough to be pretty self sufficient, but not old enough to have developed an "attitude".

momb Tue 23-Jun-15 23:24:55

I do Brownies rather than Guides because having moved heaven and earth/full time job/family of my own/other commitments to pull together a programme etc , the teen eye rolling would lead me to kill, or at least maim a little! :-D

Poppiesway Tue 23-Jun-15 23:35:40

If you volunteered would you be in dawn group as your DC?
I'm a beaver leader and for the last year of my ds time in beavers was the BSL. He hates it, now in cubs he's happy again he has his two hours of fun a week without me there lol..

Personally I live the beaver age (5.9 - 8) they mostly still believe in Santa and all the magic etc.. Cubs don't believe. we do just as much fun as the Cuba do. We avoid colouring activities.. They love wide games and building things and getting. Messy.

I'm considering it for the future (not now) and would prefer Cubs, the level of outdoor activity in Scouts is just a bit too much for me personally (DS moved from Cubs to Scouts about 6 months ago). Cubs still do quite a bit, but less strenuous. I've been on the group executive committee for about three years which has given me a real insight into what the various roles involve, it's a quite a bit more than just what happens at the weekly meetings in terms of planning, prep, admin etc. On the other hand, you don't have to be a "full time" leader, we have one or two that just do a session here and there in line with their own skills and experience.

BackforGood Tue 23-Jun-15 23:53:40

If it doesn't make any difference to you in terms of the night they meet / time they meet / arrangements for getting your dc there and back / looked after / etc., I'd go for the section they aren't in. It gives them a bit of freedom to be just the same as everyone else, and not 'Akela's dc'.

MrsFionaCharming Sat 04-Jul-15 17:33:30

I'd go along for a meeting of each - you might find you're a better fit with the existing leaderhsip for one group, or prefer the way one is run, regardless of age group.

AChickenCalledKorma Sun 05-Jul-15 20:12:24

Coming at it from a different angle - would you be in the unit that your own children attend? If so, I would suggest going for Cubs, so that when your sons are Scout age, they have some "space" that is parent-free. It can become quite important for young teens to have some role models that are outside the family and you being a helper might hamper that.

(Am a parent of a 13 year old Scout, who would definitely prefer not to have Mum watching what she gets up to on a Scout night ...)

ShonaTorch Mon 06-Jul-15 15:42:04

In an earlier post on a similar subject, I pointed out the dangers of volunteering for roles that require a DBS check, thus making you a member of a 'notifiable occupation'.

You will have no legal rights and should you be subject to any complaints, it would have a highly detrimental effect on your paid career too.

The golden rule I now apply is never EVER volunteer for a role requiring a DBS check.

Sinkingfeeling Tue 07-Jul-15 00:42:40

But Shona - if everyone took the view that they wouldn't volunteer for any role involving a DBS check, there would be no leaders or volunteers in Scouting, Guiding and a myriad of other organisations which depend on volunteers. confused Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'you will have no legal rights' please? As a Cubs leader I'm concerned and mystified by this.

madwomanbackintheattic Tue 07-Jul-15 01:06:07

Omg Shona! I have never heard such a desperately narrow minded and tragically uncharitable boatload of selfish twaddle ever!

No leaders for any activities ever? Just school and home to rot and even at school, no additional helpers in to read with those struggling?

I don't know which particular planet you are living on, but if you get rid of the charitable and volunteer sector, most of the youth and individuals with disablities on this one are fucked.

I am immensely proud of everyone who volunteers so that other people can learn, grow and try new activities outside of the sausage machine.

The world would be a less vibrant place without these givers.

madwomanbackintheattic Tue 07-Jul-15 01:09:36

And in all honesty, if you follow scout or guide policy, you would not ever be in a position to be accused of anything that a very minor investigation would clear you of. Both organizations work extremely hard to protect their leaders from false accusations, as well as the youth involved from any harm. So your view is not only small minded and scaremongering, you obviously know absolutely nothing about the policies involved with either of these organizations.

madwomanbackintheattic Tue 07-Jul-15 01:13:12

But back to the op. I like older kids, because you can really make a difference in terms of guidance that will shape who they are as adults (attached to all of those cool activities that require a bit of self exploration and confidence building) but it's very personal. I also really enjoyed my year with the brownies, once I clocked that none of them could read....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now