What do children do at Beavers?

(13 Posts)
PeggyCarter Thu 28-May-15 20:07:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

juniorcakeoff Thu 28-May-15 20:14:19

there's a lot of topic work type stuff, we've had farm trip, making and painting a massive cardboard sword and shield for st george's, that fizzy volcano science project, a duck race, tea party near mother's day where they made little snacks and served them to us, 'indoor' camping where they put a tent up and cooked stuff on a gas campfire, visitors e.g. fire service....Ours is pretty bloody good though so I don't know how representative it is!

ophiotaurus Thu 28-May-15 20:14:32

My son went for the first time last night. He's 6 too.
He said that they learned about how to put up a tent and what to pack in their bag for camping (there is a sleepover on Saturday but he is too new to go).
They also played dodgeball and then had snacks in the tent in the hall.

He really enjoyed it and is looking forward to next week!

Hopefully someone will be along who's DC have been for longer as I would like to know too!

tippytappywriter Thu 28-May-15 20:18:01

Ours did trips to the local river to make mini rafts, games and litter pick in the park and hikes locally. In the hall they worked on badges (which seemed fairly quick to get which kept DS keen). Each beaver colony has its own vibe depending on who is running it.

BL00CowWonders Thu 28-May-15 20:19:36

My DC have been to one which is really structured. They do a lot of work related to badges. Whenever I help out (parents are required to be on the rota once a term at our pack) I've always leaned loads grin
It also varies summer/ winter and we've been out and about locally - bits of road safety/ learning about the town/ cleaning the church!
Very much depends on who the leaders are and how much energy they have.

BL00CowWonders Thu 28-May-15 20:20:13

Just like Tippy said ^
smile

Muchtoomuchtodo Thu 28-May-15 20:21:35

Ours have visited the lifeboat station and fire station, they've done simple cooking (fruit kebabs etc), planted seeds, been out on hikes. They did a litter pick in the local country park recently too.
There all seem to be small projects to go towards different badges. Sometimes they ask us to do a bit of research at home to supplement what they do.
Our ds is desperate to get as many badges as he can so we often do extra bits at home towards some of the more straightforward ones!

PeggyCarter Thu 28-May-15 20:23:46

petpuddle Thu 28-May-15 20:28:10

Hi I am a veteran beaver leader.
Each group will vary in its activities so you would probably be better asking your leader or other parents who's children attend the same group.

In our group we try to vary activities so we try to include crafts such as biscuit decorating and drawing. Outdoor activities like obstical courses and outdoor games. Community based activities like planting flowers for the local community centre and litter pick-ups and singing in the carol service. And visits to different places which fit in with whatever badge they are doing such as visits to the fire station, petting zoos, air ambulance, science museums etc.
We also do two camps one is a group camp with the cubs and scouts and the other is a family camp and there are various activities there water fights and camp fires and rock climbing.

PeggyCarter Thu 28-May-15 21:29:39

Jamieson90 Tue 02-Jun-15 16:49:07

Another Beaver leader here, I'm quite young at 24 so we're very active and full of energy; you'll find that there are variations in each group as it's very leader dependent.

FYI - A Beaver section is called a colony and a colony can be divided into lodges. In our group, the 434th, our Beaver colony is separated into three different lodges, Foxes (red), Elephants (green), and Eagles (yellow).

We do all sorts of things, there's the obvious stuff like camps, making stuff and doing badge work, but we also visit museums and places like Pets at home, hold swim night's at the local swimming baths and much, much more.

This year alone we've had a visit from the police, explored Kersal Dale Nature Reserve, been climbing at Rock Over Climbing Centre, held a pirate themed treasure hunt for Easter with chocolate eggs as the treasure and took part in the District's Sports Day Event.

QueenofLouisiana Wed 03-Jun-15 21:07:06

Another Beaver Leader here. This term we are growing food, cooking food, sharing food from around the world. We have visited local churches, fire station etc and had back stage tours at the local theatre.

We join the cub/ scout camp for a day to get experience of group activities and join in the district sleepover. I love giving the beavers a cgance to meet bigger scouts so they can see where they are going on the movement. St George's parade blows their minds- around 500 people all marching together with flags, bands etc.

UniS Tue 23-Jun-15 21:03:05

Run around, shreik, play games, giggle, cook, shreik, make stuff, run around....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now