Sheet music for a Grade 4 9YO

(13 Posts)
TwoInTheMourning Thu 19-Jun-14 13:03:32

My DS aged 9 has recently done his Grade 4 exam. He's a bit bored with it all so I'd like him to spend some time playing music he actually enjoys and forget about grades for a while. My problem is that I don't know anything about music and DS won't have a piano teacher now until September. I definitely want to keep him going with some fun pieces. He enjoys blues in general although it can get a little repetitive, upbeat songs and also likes Apologize and Counting Stars by OneRepublic. I was wondering if anybody could recommend some grade appropriate tunes for my DS to work these next few months. Please be as specific as you can and send links if possible as I am not able, from looking at the music sheet, to gauge the grade. Thanks so much.

TwoInTheMourning Thu 19-Jun-14 14:10:25

This is for piano by the way blush

Seeline Thu 19-Jun-14 14:20:09

There are a series of books called Up Grade which are designed for light relief in between grades. there is one for between grades 3+4 and one for 4+5, so it would depend how far advanced your DS is as to which one you get. If it's more for fun, the 3+4 one might be better. I think they also do versions with jazz or pop pieces.
www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_8?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=upgrade+piano&sprefix=up+grade%2Caps%2C166

TwoInTheMourning Thu 19-Jun-14 14:21:52

That looks perfect Seeline thanks. What sort of tunes are they though? Classical, pop?

Seeline Thu 19-Jun-14 14:31:20

I don't really know, I think it depends on the version you get. My DD had a Christmas one which was a mix of traditional carols and more popular Christmas songs.
There do seem to be separate books for pop and jazz, as well as just ordinary piano. They do stress they are for light relief so nothing too heavy I wouldn't have thought.

A word of caution - several of the ones on that Amazon link seem to be in German. The music would be the same but if there are words it may get tricky grin

morethanpotatoprints Thu 19-Jun-14 14:35:39

Hello OP

I don't think you need to worry about grade appropriate books tbh as long as they aren't really simple your ds will benefit from playing lots of different pieces.
I would advise your local music shop, too many people over look these as a good source of advice. They will help you choose appropriate books and you'll be supporting your local shop.

Seeline Thu 19-Jun-14 14:40:44

Good point *morethan8. Music shops are fairly few and far apart these days, but nearest is always very helpful. You could take DS with you and see what he fancies. If he wants to play something I think that is a good start!!

TwoInTheMourning Thu 19-Jun-14 14:44:58

morethan I couldn't agree with you more in theory. Our local music shop (we only have one) has not been at all helpful in the past, they just point with the finger to the section I should go to, but then once there I just haven't got a clue what's what. I'd be more interested in knowing what has interested other kids of roughly the same age.

Wafflenose Thu 19-Jun-14 19:42:30

Jazzin' About Styles by Pauline Hall. It's a Grade 2-4 book, so he'll be able to sight read some and enjoy them straight away, and work on the others. So many different styles in there - boogie, disco, reggae etc.

JulieMichelleRobinson Thu 19-Jun-14 22:43:22

You could also try, for something different, the Rockschool grade 3 or 4 syllabus (same standard, totally different genre).

I use Upgrades, LCM jazz syllabus (they have repertoire lists online) and Rockschool materials as supplements to classical piano lessons. Also, most online "Easy piano" arrangements of pop music are around grades 3-4 at least.

nonicknameseemsavailable Fri 20-Jun-14 13:40:18

I loved playing Jazz music when I was grade 4ish, also played a lot of Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals stuff.

Schmedz Sun 22-Jun-14 20:02:41

Does he enjoy composing his own music, Two? Or have a particular band he likes - there are always piano/vocal books available with chord progressions and this would be a different style from the usual 'exam fare' and also involve a little creativity.

morethanpotatoprints Sun 22-Jun-14 21:28:26

Ah, that is really rotten and you question how they stay in business.
Since posting last, we passed our music shop and the owner stopped us and pointed out they had stacks upon stacks of music they were almost giving away, would we like to see it.
So tomorrow we go to view it all, now I know what I'm doing, but know for certain they would be really helpful if I couldn't.

In that case give ebay or Amazon your money, they don't deserve it. grin

My dd likes Hannon books and has the serious exercises/study and the boogie woogie book. She hasn't taken exams on piano yet but these books are great for intermediate to advanced players.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now