TV auditions - any experience?

(5 Posts)
EvilTwins Sat 14-Jun-14 18:53:11

I was called by a casting agency (I am a school drama teacher) about a BBC series which is being filmed in my area. The casting agent wants to come into school to "have a look" (her words) at the students "in their natural routines". This is new to me - I've put students up for theatre auditions before but that has involved me getting a character spec, having a word with students who meet it and then setting up the audition. The casting agent was at great pains to point out that this is not an audition (not "at this stage") but that she just wants to go round school and have a look. Does anyone have any experience? I don't want to come across as a total amateur on the day and do want to make sure that she gets what she needs. How can she tell by looking? What if the kids she likes the look of are kids I know would not be interested or can't act for toffee?

EvilTwins Sat 14-Jun-14 20:49:30

Hopeful bump! Anyone??

makemelaugh Sun 15-Jun-14 15:51:50

It sounds fine. I work in film and understand the agent's desire to see the children before they have been coached & prepared and before they hopefully even know they are being watched. If he/she shows interest for a child who is not interested or can't act, well that's at their own risk and they will deal with it. They will probably come out with a short list for an audition anyway.
Maybe the role involves less acting and more "presence". Maybe they want to avoid the "filtering" that happens when they brief you and you "select" the children that meet the criteria.
I see no problem at all. Just make it easy for them on the day by not announcing they're coming... smile

EvilTwins Sun 15-Jun-14 16:01:17

OK, that all sounds good. Thank you - I was just confused!

So by the sound of it, I will just need to accompany her around school and she will want to go into lessons and have a look around. I will need to tell staff, in case they think it's an OFSTED inspector (!) but I won't mention it to the students - just in case one of them leaps up in the middle of their French/Maths/Business Studies lesson and starts spouting monologues from King Lear grin

Thank you for the help!

makemelaugh Sun 15-Jun-14 22:12:52

Casting agent mistaken for Ofsted agent. Brilliant. :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now