Violin lessons -is this the done thing?

(10 Posts)
17leftfeet Sat 31-May-14 15:20:51

Dd has violin lessons at school which we very fortunately don't pay for

She has a 1:1 lesson, orchestra and string ensemble during term time but in the holidays nothing

The 6 week holidays are looming and it's a long time with no lessons so I was considering asking the teacher if she can have some private lessons over the holiday but I don't want to put the teacher in an awkward position if its something she's not allowed to do

Dd is due to do her grade 2 before Christmas and I don't want her to fall back over the summer so would private lessons be the norm in this situation?

Noteventhebestdrummer Sat 31-May-14 15:28:31

It's fine! Lots of my school kids see me in the holidays too.

HolidayCriminal Sat 31-May-14 15:40:34

It's not unusual, although DD never pursued it & still made progress I was satisfied with.

17leftfeet Sat 31-May-14 16:28:03

To be honest I have no idea how quickly she should progress but its something she enjoys and I'd like her to make the most of the opportunity she's been given

RaspberryLemonPavlova Sat 31-May-14 18:09:14

We tend to have 1 piano lesson over the summer, and just encourage the odd bit of practice on the rest.

JulieMichelleRobinson Sat 31-May-14 18:55:50

It's fine to ask, the worst that can happen is the teacher will say no. I have had students continue over the summer (adults) or have a few lessons over the summer but not every week (children) and also use the time for trial lessons. It's extra income, after all.

morethanpotatoprints Sat 31-May-14 21:54:45

My dd has private lessons and continues every week over the summer but one of her teachers also teaches in schools and she takes them for private lessons in their home during the summer.
A peri is certainly allowed to do this, if this helps at all.
Its good to have a couple during the holidays imo, especially if they have taken an exam the extra practice and lessons helps to consolidate learning at that grade.

DeWee Sun 01-Jun-14 22:13:50

I don't see a problem with asking, but my dc's music teachers usually want the break. You just need to nag remind about practice regularyl, I usually reckon on every other day during holidays.

The only thing is with the teacher, do you pay them or the county? For ones in school here we often pay the county, and I think they subsidise them, so you may find you're paying more.

17leftfeet Sun 01-Jun-14 22:40:55

Lessons at school are currently free so I will definitely be paying more grin

JimBobplusasprog Mon 09-Jun-14 15:36:46

I send my kids to a week long music camp in the summer which stops them getting behind. There might be something similar in your area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now