A little advice required from the "hive mind"

(9 Posts)
Swex Fri 25-Apr-14 19:32:47

Ds1 is five and in reception. Does rugby at the weekend and swimming in the week. And I was wondering about adding another activity - either a generic music class or tennis.

So, is three activities a week too much for a five year old? And if the consensus is no, then do I go for music or another sport?

For some reason this goes round and round in my head... Put me out of my misery

Thank you

Shallishanti Fri 25-Apr-14 19:34:07

wait until he asks to do something
do 5yos even do tennis???

Swex Fri 25-Apr-14 19:49:17

Yeah, they do. He did an Easter course thingy and there was millions of them running around. He really enjoyed it, hence my thought.

RaspberryLemonPavlova Fri 25-Apr-14 19:59:11

I don't think 3 activities a week is too much for a 5 year old, though it does depend on the 5 year old.

But with the knowledge I now have of trailing round 3 DC and activities, I would wait until they ask.

But, if you would like to do something else I would add variety, I think.

Swex Fri 25-Apr-14 20:22:05

Thank you!

Theas18 Sat 26-Apr-14 11:13:01

Depends on the 5yr old and the rest of the family...trailing smalls about and entertaining them for an hour every week, at tea time is not something to leap into. My 3rd child did more at age 5 that the biggies did but it was " well we are going anyway and she can have a lesson in the little pool at the same time" sort of planning.

RaspberryLemonPavlova Sat 26-Apr-14 11:59:47

Same here Theas, really. Plus they see the older DC doing things and want to join in.

greenhill Sat 26-Apr-14 12:08:09

My then 5 yo did 3 activities a week and still does, a few years later.

Dd had ballet, swimming and rainbows, with each activity taking between 30 minutes and an hour.

Swex Sat 26-Apr-14 13:18:52

This is helpful thanks - will try a test class and see how we do. Weekend activity falls on dh shoulders so it's just the week one the little one has to go to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now