Paired music lessons in school

(11 Posts)
goonIcantakeit Tue 08-Apr-14 12:28:07

I think there are some LEAs where instead of having a group or individual lesson, you can have a paired lesson.

Does anyone do this, and what are the terms and conditions if one of the pair drops out?

We think the other in the pair should continue at the same price for the rest of the term then have the option of either rejoining the group stream or paying individual prices. Does that sound right?

schilke Tue 08-Apr-14 13:34:04

That doesn't seem fair to me. Dd1 was in a group of 3 and the after a few terms she split off to have an individual lesson. The 2 remaining had to pay for a group of 2 not 3. Now another is giving up and I assume the one left will have to pay individual or join another group. I'd be a bit annoyed if she was having an individual but paying £60 less than me a term!

schilke Tue 08-Apr-14 13:36:30

Oh hang on, you're talking about paying the same until the end of term. Well, here you pay termly so if someone drops out the pair, yes you'd have an individual lesson - music service would be happy as they'd have their money! I thought you were saying if there was not another group to join the next term, then they should have an individual lesson at a group rate!

goonIcantakeit Tue 08-Apr-14 13:37:40

Is that the same issue? We're talking about paying £75 per term for the guarantee that there will only be one other child.
Alternatives are to pay £54 per term for group of 4 or an eye watering £154 per term for individual.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 08-Apr-14 13:38:31

The terms for all musical instrument lessons arevthstvyiu have to commit to & pay for a term upfront.

So if one drops out the teacher has still received payment so the other half Of the pair gets private lessons for the remainder if that term when they then have the option of either finding another partner or paying the extra for 1:1 for the next term.

ShellingPeas Tue 08-Apr-14 16:23:29

Our music hub offers paired lessons for 30 minutes and if one drops out they then reduce the lesson time for the remaining student to 20 minutes. Doesn't matter what time of term the drop out occurs though so if a student left part way through a term they'd reduce the lesson time down straight away.

1805 Tue 08-Apr-14 21:56:19

depends on availability of appropriate groups if you were looking to rejoin the group lesson rates.

redskyatnight Fri 11-Apr-14 14:14:42

Here you have to pay a term up front. We don't have paired lessons but individual and group - where a group can be 2 or 3 children. If you sign up for group lessons you have to agree to a clause that if it is not possible to make up a group you will be offered the choice of individual or dropping out.

If a child dropped out of a pair mid-term, the remaining person would carry on to the end of the term and then would be reassigned to another group or asked to swap to individual.

We are having this problem with DD at the moment. She has a group lesson in a pair with another girl of similar standard. There is also another pair of children that are beginners. One of the beginners has left. Theory would be that the remaining beginner would be added to DD's pair. But as DD's pair is considerably more advanced there is some discussion round how this will work. It's been suggested that she (the girl with no pair) should just have a shorter individual lesson.

HolidayCriminal Fri 11-Apr-14 18:47:57

£75/term for paired lessons doesn't sound so bad.
We are paying £120/term for individual 15 minute lessons.

NannyPeach Fri 11-Apr-14 21:05:28

We are in the midlands and pay £70 a term for an individual lesson in y5. My dd started a second instrument (cello) in September, progresses quickly and is far ahead of all other children (just took grade 4), so couldn't be grouped. I think we pay the same as others in groups.

NannyPeach Fri 11-Apr-14 21:06:01

*progressed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now