Piano music

(5 Posts)
chauffeurmummy Sun 06-Apr-14 11:07:49

Hi

My dd is 7 and has been learning piano for around 6 months. She's doing really well and is approaching grade 1 but she's suddenly got fed up of it and is bored of ploughing through her tutor book. I think this is partly because it's getting harder and her rate of progress has slowed down (but equally she's not really practising which has also obviously slowed down her progress!)

I was wondering whether anyone could recommend any supplementary music for her that she could manage and may spark her interest again??

Or any other suggestions please!!

JulieMichelleRobinson Sun 06-Apr-14 14:41:06

Several of the tutor series have supplementary books. I often use the jazz books from John Thomson's 'Easiest Piano Course' and from 'Pianotime' as supplements. The Thomson one has pieces at the start that she would find easy; some of them are set for LCM step exams, a few for grade 1, one is even set for LCM jazz piano grade 3, so there's a whole range of difficulty levels.

FWIW, most of my students around that age who started in September (or summer term last year) are currently aiming for Prep Test in June/July, so your DD is doing very well. That said, we go slowly and do a lot of work on general aural skills, theory etc. as we go along, and about half of them could have done it this term.

chauffeurmummy Tue 08-Apr-14 21:09:58

That's great - thank you! I'll order a couple of those and see if that reignites her interest.

She is doing very well and I am not at all concerned with her progress - but I am concerned that she's not really enjoying at the moment. I want her to get that love back!

JulieMichelleRobinson Wed 09-Apr-14 00:29:03

Chauffeurmummy:
If you have an ipad, may I recommend the free app "Piano Dust-Buster" which is absolutely hilarious. For best educational value, use it in 'score' mode rather than easy and look at the percentage value for playing in time.

JulieMichelleRobinson Wed 09-Apr-14 00:29:33

Oh, and obviously use it with the actual piano, not the on-screen touch one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now