musical emergency: ds has just rubbed vaseline on his violin bow

(6 Posts)
chickpeastew Fri 28-Mar-14 16:26:19

Is it wrecked? Should I try to wipe it off and then rosin? Should I wash it? It's a carbon fibre bow so not the cheapest otherwise I would dock the money from ds and replace it.

Noteventhebestdrummer Fri 28-Mar-14 19:48:21

Yes wipe off as much as possible. Then wash with a soft toothbrush, minimal amount of warm water and washing up liquid. Rinse. Let it dry overnight. Reapply rosin.

If it is still gungy then you can get it rehaired for about £30?

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 28-Mar-14 19:51:39

Why??

I would remove excess and wipe with a sponge with washing up liquid and water.

It won't come ofc without using a 'degreaser' like washing up liquid so I don't see how you can lose anything by trying.

chickpeastew Fri 28-Mar-14 20:23:06

Why? Because he's 8, he had vaseline on his lip, he was being dozy and because he doesn't like A major over 2 octaves. I have put shedloads of rosin on and it sounds better but you can see the greasy patches and it doesn't sound right. Arrrgghh. Ds has orchestra tomorrow so be can explain to his teacher what he did. Children. <sigh>

NatashaBee Fri 28-Mar-14 20:26:09

Agree, get a toothbrush, mix some water and washing up liquid and brush through the hairs with the toothbrush dipped in the water/WUL mix. Then do the same again with water to rinse, let it dry and slather it in rosin.

ThatBloodyWoman Sat 29-Mar-14 00:32:55

Aaaah, I see.

Yes.Children <sigh>....

I was just wondering if he'd deliberately sabotaged it to get out of practising, but it's fortunately not that drastic!

I reckon it'll be ok, and it'll dryin time.I

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now