Flute and ensemble playing

(6 Posts)
Dancergirl Wed 26-Mar-14 07:40:45

Dd is 12 and has been playing the flute for a few years. She had a slow start due to repeated changes of peripertetic teacher changes but now she has private lessons out of school and has made excellent progress (grades 1 and 2 within a short space of time both with merit). She's hoping to do Grade 3 this summer.

Her school is excellent for music and has something for all levels - flute group, wind band, concert band and orchestra. However dd is very reluctant to do any ensemble playing. She tried flute group once last year and it was full of very experienced players which knocked her confidence a bit. But now with Grade 2 under her belt, wind band is the right level for her (goes up to Grade 3) and the music teacher has said they actually need more flautists. But dd is not keen to go! She has a close knit group of friends and she wants to be with them at lunchtimes, even though it would only be one lunchtime a week.

I know I can't force her, or would want to, but does anyone have any ideas for encouraging her? I played the clarinet at school and when I started wind band I was terrified and barely played a note! But I eventually really enjoyed it, both the music and the social side.

Bribes. Only way I convince DD1(11) to continue with orchestra is promise a reward at end of year. Bribe for giving it a try, bribe to continue.. It takes a while to gain that confidence to get to the point where it is enjoyable.

Hard to compete with hanging out with friends at lunchtime though...

RaspberryLemonPavlova Thu 27-Mar-14 19:04:47

It contributes towards total practice time. Obviously not scales and pieces she is working on, but in total time actually playing her flute.

Dancergirl Thu 27-Mar-14 20:52:55

I think the only bribe dd would go for would be a financial bribe!

Dancergirl Sat 29-Mar-14 10:03:41

Dd said she may try it after Easter as a club she was doing this term has finished. Sounds promising!

I have also just found out about something in this weeks newsletter - they are organising a music tour to Germany in October half term. I have no worries about dd learning the music in time but as she has pointed out, she won't know yet if she'll like wind band.

Do you think it's worth paying the deposit for the trip now in any case? Places are limited.

RaspberryLemonPavlova Sat 29-Mar-14 14:28:54

Does she know anyone else who is going?

Mine have thoroughly enjoyed band trips, although it must be said three concerts in a 9 day holiday is not arduous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now