To teach or not to teach?

(8 Posts)
Worriedandlost Sat 01-Mar-14 01:35:38

DD is learning violin and piano. Whilst I am very happy with violin teacher, DD is currently with her third piano teacher (in two years) and my worry is that she is still not what DD needs (teacher is good but I believe there is an ideal teacher for each student and this one is not for DD)

The teacher is preparing DD for grade 2 in piano. But I am not sure that it is right thing to do as I feel previous teacher messed up and DD needs more practice, perhaps even to make step back. On the other hand, I think that exam will be a good test for DD and teacher's work and help me to make a decision whether to stay or leave.

One thing that puzzled me is that teacher asked DD to practice new exam piece at home (one hand) without actually going through the piece on a lesson. I do not play myself, though I have basic piano knowledge and help DD with her practice. This made me think that if I worry that DD did not play enough pieces between grades I can introduce some new pieces to her (have all the books) and she can learn them under my supervision (using CD or youtube as a reference). There are so many lovely pieces which are both - nice to play and good for improving playing technique. And then ask the teacher to check what we learned and make her comments? How realistic it is taking into account I am not a musician? I feel I am quite into it as we have been going through all the learning together.

Any advice will be appreciated thanks

By asking your DD to play the piece without going through it in her lesson, do you mean without the teacher playing it for her? Nothing wrong with this at all, it will test your daughter's ability to read and interpret the music herself.

You haven't said what age your DD is but aside from encouragement and the odd reminder to practise, I would try to step back and let DD get on with learning herself. I think it's important that children learning an instrument take charge of their learning and develop the confidence to discuss this with their teacher, expressing an opinion on what they enjoy or dislike and an ability to evaluate their own learning and their own strengths or weaknesses.

RaspberryLemonPavlova Sat 01-Mar-14 08:49:42

With regard to additional pieces, my DC have loved having books kept well away from their teacher to stop her using them. She loves using material from wide sources. DC like having something they can just enjoy for themselves. I let them get on with it too.

Worriedandlost Sat 01-Mar-14 12:32:29

DontWorryBaby, thank you, you put my mind at rest a bit about our teacher's actions. Yes, she played the piece to dd, so that counts? smile
Unfortunately dd cannot manage her practice herself just yeat, too young (ks1 age) and problems with concentration.

Worriedandlost Sat 01-Mar-14 12:33:13

Rasberry, good point!

Does your DD want to learn new fun pieces by herself (ie at home with you rather than at music lessons?) On top of regular piano and violin practice?

Some children would be motivated and find this fun. Other children would find this a chore and perhaps even refuse to do it. Don't do this unless your DD would consider this fun.

Worriedandlost Sat 08-Mar-14 23:40:04

MomOfTwoGirls2, this depends on her mood. Sometimes she would, sometimes she would not smile

Why not give it a try on a day she is in the mood for it. Pick something fun and easy enough that she will be successful at it. Then build on that success. And be ready to drop it if she gets frustrated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now