Disco dancing - any experience of forced stretches?

(5 Posts)
tallulah Wed 26-Feb-14 18:23:52

DD went to a disco-dancing class for 7 -11 yos. There were 2 teachers and they started with a warm up - all good so far. After a bit of running across the room the teacher lined them up against the wall for stretches - basically she took each girls leg and pushed it right up, then got her to turn round and pushed up the leg at the back.

At the end of the class they were asked to do splits and pushed down into them; also laying on their back one leg was pushed right up.

I've done ballet, tap, National and latterly ballroom and latin and have never experienced anything like this. I'll admit I know nothing about disco but it made me uneasy.

Is this normal for this style of dancing, or am I right to be concerned? I would add that DD seems as "wooden" as me and can't actually get into splits or get her leg high, hence my concern.

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 26-Feb-14 22:04:09

Dd has done similar at a ballet associate scheme

It depends on what you mean by forced. The child has to be in control but it is common for a teacher or classmate to assist. Dd has asked me to help her. She shows me where to push & when to stop. It should stretch but not hurt.

coco44 Thu 27-Feb-14 09:17:12

I am a gymnastics coach and we do help to stretch children, yes, but not beginners.Your DD will be able to make good progress just using her own body weight to begin with.The participant does need to be the one in control and whatever people say ,it does hurt A BIT (discomfort is a euphemism!).I always position myself so that I can see their eyes and you can tell straight away how much it is hurting (sometimes they don't want to say).Encourage your DD to practice every day after a hot bath/ shower .If she only stretches once a week she won't really make any progress and also to do shoulder stretches-bend at waist with hands on windowsill and arms straight and push shoulders towards floor.Most of all make sure each stretch is held at least 15 seconds (to begin with -this will need to get longer as she improves)
hth

JufusMum Tue 04-Mar-14 12:38:30

Jufu has done disco for ten years - assisted stretching is commonplace but not forced!!! I recommend the "Jumpsplits" dvds as they are specific disco-friendly stretches - search on Facebook or look at www.jumpsplits.com - Jude got the champ camp dvds for Xmas and she loves them smile

Not disco, but at DDs dance class they partner up, one kneels and the other puts their ankle on their shoulder and the kneeler gradually stands to stretch up to doing the splits...but the dancer is always in control.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now