Can I put dd in for a music exam independently?

(6 Posts)
Doolallydolly Thu 12-Sep-13 10:11:16

Dd started work on her prep test book and should have taken the exam in July. However she didn't feel she was ready, i didn't want to push so agreed she would take it this term.

However school are now only going to do exams once a year, and have suggested she goes onto grade one as she will get bored doing the prep test pieces or another two terms (which I do agree with).

However it seems a shame for her that she has spent so long learning (and practising) them. I also thought it would be a good intro to music exams.

Anyone offer any advice, should we just go straight to grade one. Or is there any way dd can do the exam outside of school?

boogiewoogie Thu 12-Sep-13 11:41:31

I understood that you had to be registered with the AB but you may want to ask those on the ABRSM forum, you'll probably get more response there.

ABRSM

Moominmammacat Thu 12-Sep-13 18:04:34

Anybody can register. I wouldn't bother doing the exam, save the money and go on to Grade One. Get her to play the pieces in a concert/assembly in school instead for free.

Clobbered Thu 12-Sep-13 18:11:12

If you really want her to do the exam, you can register as an entrant on the ABRSM website and do it all online, as long as you register at least a few days before the closing date - the next one is fairly soon, so you need to get on with it if you are going ahead.

She will need to go to your local exam centre - usually the nearest big town - you choose the centre at the time of the entry. Be aware that these can be a variety of venues, often someone's house, and the quality of the pianos is variable to say the least - not necessarily a problem at this early stage. The Prep Test is a nice gentle introduction to exams and they come out with a certificate on the day.

There's no reason why your DD couldn't carry on working towards Grade 1 and do the Prep Test as a warm-up. She could even use one of her new pieces as the own choice piece for Prep Test.

morethanpotatoprints Fri 13-Sep-13 17:42:05

I would also suggest moving onto grade one rather than paying for a prep test and the accompanist/ depending on the set up at the centre.
She has already learnt the pieces, perhaps her teacher or yourself could print a certificate to give her and ditto to playing pieces in concert or school assembly.
If she is going to do all the grades it will become expensive so saving a bit at this stage is good.

noteventhebestdrummer Sat 14-Sep-13 22:48:11

You don't need an accompanist for Prep Test, the examiner can play. Maybe this kid is a pianist anyway?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now