computer code

(9 Posts)
Giraffeagogo Mon 15-Jul-13 14:32:54

Hi, does anyone know where to start with a 9 year old who wants to learn computer code?

Cheers,

Giraffeagogo

Somethingyesterday Mon 15-Jul-13 18:02:56

Bumping in the hope of knowledgeable answers!

conorsrockers Mon 15-Jul-13 22:36:00

I posted a message on this a year or two ago. Sadly, it didn't come to much .. hmm ...we are still looking!!!

Snorbs Mon 15-Jul-13 22:51:36

Logo is a very simple language to learn that gives instant results which is, in my opinion, crucial to keeping the interest levels up in the early days. Try MSW Logo as a starting point. There's info here although just googling "logo programming" will turn up lots of resources as it's often used in schools.

For a more general-purpose language, try Python. It's a bit tougher to get in to from a standing start but you can do more with it. There are some pointers for starting with Python here.

Somethingyesterday Mon 15-Jul-13 22:54:36

Raspberry Pi?

Codecademy?

Scratch?

I think there is a TED lecture about Scratch.

ExBrightonBell Mon 15-Jul-13 22:59:23

How about Scratch, from MIT. It's free to download and is a simple intro to programming concepts. It simplifies the coding process by providing code "blocks" that are snapped together to make programs.

If that's too simple, how about trying Codecademy? It's an online tutorial where you can learn JavaScript, Python, Ruby, and associated things such as HTML and CSS. Very suitable for children as you can earn virtual badges and trophies as you complete bits.

Zipitydooda Mon 15-Jul-13 23:04:56

Have a look at www.codeclub.org.uk/

Maybe there's one local to you. Scratch is fantastic for starting coding and look at the website www.teach-ict.com/programming/scratch/scratch_home.htm

For ideas to get started.

Giraffeagogo Tue 16-Jul-13 19:40:56

Thanks everyone,

Giraffeagogo
X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now