At what point does it stop being 'Extra-curricular' & what does it become then?

(79 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 11-Jul-13 20:38:01

Is it vocational?

I mean DD hit that about 12 months ago; but I still don't really know what to call it. And I have those stupid conversations with people about how much she dances, & why she doesn't go to guides/youth club/parties/PE at school and yes actually she does intend to do it for a living

How do you describe your DC's activity?

ALthough today I was asked if it was fair letting her compete in Sports Day (at Dance) as she was practically professional.....so some people understand wink

KatyMac Fri 26-Jul-13 23:14:09

I googled - it's IDTA; we're generally ISTD so that's why we hadn't heard of it

DD is only 15 - so not this year.....we will have a look next year & see but I don't think it's really her thing

RedHelenB Fri 26-Jul-13 23:11:56

A competition for 16+, heats all over the country & finals at Blackpool.

KatyMac Fri 26-Jul-13 22:57:10

No - what's that?

RedHelenB Fri 26-Jul-13 22:46:04

Hope it all works out for her - is she doing Miss Dance?

KatyMac Fri 26-Jul-13 20:39:27

LSC is from 18 now (as far as I can see)

It is amazing

RedHelenB Fri 26-Jul-13 20:31:40

The girl I'm thinking of went to LSC after GCSEs & got funding

KatyMac Fri 26-Jul-13 20:15:21

Nope - it's a DADA or not going

At least we can still afford for her to go IF she gets a DADA; a lot of people can't this year sad

RedHelenB Fri 26-Jul-13 20:06:11

Can she go to any of these places without funding because if you can afford to pay for her then it will greatly increase her chances. Also, she needs to concentrate on her auditions above all else as she will only get one shot at them, so it may be having to say no to any extra stuff.

KatyMac Fri 19-Jul-13 16:32:02

It's complicated; in the sense of not having a plan B - her idea is only to audition for the local(ish) college & for no other level 3s

So either leave home for a level 6 or stay for a level 3

The problem with that is that it is to some extent a wasted year if she doesn't get in to level 6

But we aren't sure if doing the auditions for other level 3s are worth the time; because

Brit school - very hard to get into
Arts Ed - very hard to get into
Italia Conti (Guildford) - very hard to get into

So they would all be as hard to get into as the level 6s in some ways & then they increase her training from 3 yrs to 5 yrs which for a dancer is difficult

The Centre & Reynolds are also possible but I understand also difficult to get in to.....

Are you sensing a theme?

Theas18 Fri 19-Jul-13 15:37:37

Coming to this late. We may be lucky - a very high achieving school (or schools, technically the girls and boys are separate)academically that maybe, because it's selective doesn't have to "whip the kids" all the time to get the amazing results they do get- they are all quite able to catch up.

We've never had any trouble asking for politely , and getting, time off for concerts/exams( and the day time rehearsals- though these, apart from pre Xmas and if school continues into Holy week- are all schools music service on the whole). We've had a day to extend a weekend when DD2 sang in the alhambra with the ballet, we have 2 days off at the end of term for NYRO (NYRO admin... look at the term times next time, it's embarrassing) etc etc

I guess they use the " educated off site " code , and it helps that the kids are exceptionally healthy.

I'm aware there are kids who do have "vocational commitments" that take them out of school much more than my "hobbyist" kids:

DD1 had a mate who did 3 day eventing and had a gap year sponsored by Dodson and Horrell (sp?) and DS has a friend who very nearly fenced at the olympics but failed at the last selection ('sok now as he's on a sports scholarship at a very famous boarding school now LOL) . Both must have had plenty of time off even around GCSE and A levels. Don't know about DS friend, but DD1s got the grades and is now doing law after her gap year so again academically, no problem.

So I guess it depends where academic achievement fits with all the time out, and where your priorities lie vs the school wanting to educate ( and to be a ble to " prove" that have educated) your child.

InViennaWeWerePoetry Fri 19-Jul-13 14:53:57

She needs a plan B for September 2014 Katy, even if it's carry on with her current dance schedule, find a part time job and try again for September 2015. There's nothing scarier than all your friends talking about where they'll be going next year for college/university etc and you having nowhere to go ( and according to my mum it's even worse for the parent!) can she apply to the local college anyway, then if she doesn't get a musical theatre place she could have her as year to work on her acting and singing (theatre studies as and lots of singing lessons, plus the dancing outside of college?) When I was auditioning for drama second time round, all the stage schools wanted to know what I was doing in my year out (amateur theatre group, job auditioning, teaching dance, etc ). They want to see proof that you're actively doing something to increase your chances of getting in next time around.

KatyMac Wed 17-Jul-13 07:47:02

But conflicts between activities is a major issue in my life atm - saying let DD decide is not as easy as it sounds, there are still conflicts about priorities

KatyMac Wed 17-Jul-13 07:45:30

No idea - I was supposed to reply last night; but I didn't feel I could make that sort of decision without asking her.

She says she won't go unless her teacher can find someone else to help her (which I think is a nice decision) - so I'm waiting to hear from the teacher

DowntonTrout Wed 17-Jul-13 06:57:39

Are you sending her to the workshop Katy. I think I would.

RussiansOnTheSpree Wed 17-Jul-13 00:09:15

Well, clearly not all schools are saying no to anything outside school. It's possible that schools will be more likely to say yes to kids who are comfortably achieving/ahead of targets, I suppose. It does all seem a bit nuts though. sad

KatyMac Tue 16-Jul-13 23:32:39

He might one day; try a different Genre

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 16-Jul-13 23:26:20

But he doesn't want to dance sad

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 16-Jul-13 23:25:59

DS has asked if he can do a drama class next year.

KatyMac Tue 16-Jul-13 23:21:40

You'll be fine - you'll just have different problems to deal with (& they will expand to fill your empty space)

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 16-Jul-13 23:20:22

Dd had her last tap & modern class tonight (the teacher is also having a career change after next weeks show) last ballet class on Saturday.

I'm going to be completely lost next year.

KatyMac Tue 16-Jul-13 23:17:44

She's just (22:22) been offered a workshop in London tomorrow night; some choreographer I've never heard of (which isn't really a surprise as I don't know any choreographers)

But she'd just agreed to help out her teacher with the babies & I hate letting anyone down

What to do, what to do; sometimes I hate being a mum

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 16-Jul-13 23:17:31

When dd applied to vocational school for various reasons we wanted to be low key so I just informed the head she would be attending an entrance assessment day for a potential secondary school. When she got back the secretary asked her if she'd answered all the questions blush

KatyMac Tue 16-Jul-13 23:15:28

It isn't for shows tho' it's for further/higher education (I guess a bit like a uni interview)

Apparently the school being an academy makes a difference

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 16-Jul-13 23:15:03

In fact they actually issue a booklet to head teachers saying why they must give permission unless they have string valid educational reasons.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 16-Jul-13 23:14:12

Luckily for us one of the local education welfare officers will over rule schools if necessary for panto. & other performances and issue a licence anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now