No space for a piano

(18 Posts)
FrequentFlyerRandomDent Sat 29-Jun-13 21:32:51

Yamaha P105 is great and takes little space. Plays like a real piano, including weighted keys.

If it is important to you, look at what currently is in your flat. Is everything really needed? Is there a way of doing things differently? Keyboard in corridor?

Also, you have time. When DD1 started. She learnt on a toy keyboard. Her teacher said that provided it had 3 x octaves, it was enough to start with.

ninah Sat 29-Jun-13 21:28:48

extension?

ZZZenagain Sat 29-Jun-13 21:27:24

If you don't have any space for a piano, no there is not any real point in her learning to play it IMO. What about an orchestral instrument?

kelda Sat 29-Jun-13 08:14:05

Recorder or violin. In a couple of years. In the meantime, she can learn the notes on a zylophone.

MadeOfStarDust Sat 29-Jun-13 08:12:07

4 is awfully young - mine started lessons at 6 and 7 - their hands were just not big enough til then...

We have an electric piano upstairs (a lot easier to move than a real piano and no tuning needed) - it has been fine so far - grade 3 - teacher said grade 4 would be fine too - she gets to practise for an hour a week on the school piano..., but she will need lots more practise on a real piano for grade 5 and up...

Elquota Sat 29-Jun-13 00:34:40

Agree with Alice. Get a keyboard with weighted keys that feel like piano keys and are touch-sensitive.

Could you also get her a recorder with a beginners book you can help her work through?

Notcontent Sat 29-Jun-13 00:30:39

I have a tiny house. I have moved furniture to make space for the most compact piano I could find. So you can do it if you really want to.
That said, 4 is very young to start.

AliceDoesntLiveHereAnymore Sat 29-Jun-13 00:17:53

If you get an electric piano, you might want to think about getting a touch sensitive keyboard - has a better "feel" and is more real like a piano (the harder you push down on the key, the louder it is).

savoirfaire Fri 28-Jun-13 23:27:04

I don't think there's any issue at this age with a keyboard on the table. School may have a piano she can practice on.

MilestoneMum Fri 28-Jun-13 23:23:39

Sure, was just thinking ahead. Yes, I have a dining room table, but just one reception room (I dream of 2!)

mummy1973 Fri 28-Jun-13 23:10:22

See if she shows any interest.
Instruments take a lot of practice and they need to want to enjoy it. 4 is very young.

ShoeWhore Fri 28-Jun-13 23:01:47

Lots of Ds' friends learn piano and practise at home on electronic keyboards.

MilestoneMum Fri 28-Jun-13 22:59:33

Her ballet teacher says she is musical but I don't know which instruments to expose her to when she is older.

I was just wondering if I should rule piano out as I feel I will never have space (small modern terrace)

mummy1973 Fri 28-Jun-13 22:56:29

Do you have a dining room table? Keyboard on it? Is she really keen?

MilestoneMum Fri 28-Jun-13 22:52:06

Realistically, sadly, I am never going to have enough money for a house with space for a piano.

Tommy Fri 28-Jun-13 22:48:44

she is only 4
you may move
you can get an electric piano that isn't so big
BUT if she does have piano lessons, you will need a piano
smile

iwantavuvezela Fri 28-Jun-13 22:48:03

Keyboard? These can be used for quite awhile and take up minimalvspace.

MilestoneMum Fri 28-Jun-13 22:46:41

I do not have space for a piano in my house, so is there any point in DD learning to play the piano at some point? She is 4.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now