More Recorder activities

(9 Posts)
circular Mon 17-Jun-13 15:02:41

Russians - no we're just as protective, DD looks more like 13/14 and not very streetwise. No SEN issues, but born very prem.

If she was an exceptional player for her age, would ask, but think next year would be more appropriate for her. If we can fit it in, as suspect Uni open days will also be on the cards.
Would have liked to try for NYRO this year, but clashes with holiday.

Thea - not heard of NORVIs before, looks good but miles away for us.

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 17-Jun-13 13:22:01

Circular - I suspect they might make an exception for someone who is days off being 16! Not going to happen for someone a year off it though. But even if they would make an exception, I personally think DD1 is too young. I probably wouldn't let her do it next year either, when she is just 16 - after all, like your DD this year she would only be at the end of Y11 then which is fine for a residential course for kids - she's been to the last two NYRO summer courses - but less fine, I think, when the group is older. Maybe I'm too protective, and too babying of her - but perhaps that's because of her SEN issues too.

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 17-Jun-13 13:17:16

Not really. sad

Theas18 Mon 17-Jun-13 13:15:02

Sounds fun! Sadly (as with it seems all recorder related activities in the summer) that end of July/start of August week clashes badly with NORVIS which is where we go each year ( though this year... boo...hiss I can't get the holiday from work, hence the kids doing other things- DS is going to NORVIS on his own now he's old enough).

circular Mon 17-Jun-13 13:06:13

We have the opposite problem where DD bit of a late starter, often ends up grouped with those a year or two younger. She's not quite the standard this year, and won't be quite 16 either, but is considering the junior day.
Although not local, could do it without staying over,

The full week course for 2014 may be a possibility, but hoping to find some more for this summer.

I presume your comment about this summer becoming depressing was about the amount you and your DD had on, rather than lack of.

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 17-Jun-13 11:28:52

We weren't looking at the junior day though. Dd1 was recommended the advanced Woodhouse by one of her teachers (actually, by both of them but the second one made the recommendation after we had discounted it due to age and dates) but I just don't think, even if the dates had worked, that she'd have been comfy in a group potentially so much older.

There's no way she'd do the one day course, far too far away for just one day, and unlike London, Guildford doesn't offer any other things to do to justify staying over (yes I suppose one could then travel into London but on top of all the other schlepping, it's just not really feasible).

This summer is becoming rather depressing to be honest.

circular Mon 17-Jun-13 11:16:20

The junior day G1 to G8 (split into 3 levels) is for under 18s

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 17-Jun-13 09:31:07

No, we will be in holiday. BUT you have to be 16 so DD1 is too young anyway. I've considered doing it myself in the past but, no time.

circular Mon 17-Jun-13 08:09:19

Didn't want to hijack Theas thread, ad know there are quite a few recorder players around.

Anyone's DD Going to thisl?

Or anyone been to any in the past, or any other Woodhouse recorder courses?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now