Which instrument for school music lesson: guitar or clarinet?

(33 Posts)
Fayrazzled Sat 15-Jun-13 19:39:59

My daughter has just started private piano lessons at home and has the opportunity to start peripatetic music lessons at school next year (y4). I think the clarinet would be a good choice for her and would give her the opportunity to play in a group (band or orchestra) a bit further down the line should she wish to. She wants to do the guitar (because her mates are doing it). I think the guitar is a) difficult to do well, especially if she's only receiving 20 minutes lesson a week in a group and b) is another solitary instrument when she also does the piano. What do you think?

BeckAndCall Mon 17-Jun-13 07:18:24

From a sociable point of view, def the clarinet - just to play in an orchestra, which is a whole different type of music making.

There's no stopping her also picking up the guitar in a few years time. But if she misses Out on starting the clarinet, she'll never catch up on it enough to join in an orchestra.

curlew Mon 17-Jun-13 08:28:02

I suppose it depends what you mean by "sociable" music. My guitar player does a lot more noodling about and informal playing together sort of music than my clarinettist.

WhoNickedMyName Mon 17-Jun-13 14:04:35

If you choose for her, and you choose the instrument you prefer, or think is better for her, then be prepared to do battle every time she has to practice or learn a piece of music, because you'll probably have to practically force her to do it.

nemno Mon 17-Jun-13 14:13:55

My 2, now adult sons, played 1)trumpet and guitar, 2)sax, drums and guitar through school. They were in many school ensembles with the trumpet and sax respectively. They played their other instruments with bands socially at the weekend. They never played the trumpet and sax again since leaving school. Guitar provides both of them with amusement on a daily basis, many years later. They both jam informally with each other and any musical mates so yes, guitar is very sociable.

Lancelottie Mon 17-Jun-13 14:15:11

She's, what, 8? 9? Don't panic that she'l never have a chance to catch up on clarinet just yet, especially as she's already doing piano. If she changes her mind this time next year she could still catch up before secondary.

Lancelottie Mon 17-Jun-13 14:17:18

Nemno, DS has in his time learnt brass, piano and clarinet.

The one he gets out for pleasure is the ukelele, bought for a couple of quid from Oxfam and self-taught via youtube.

nemno Mon 17-Jun-13 14:26:18

Lancelottie, one of mine fancies a ukelele! I discouraged it unless he got rid of something else as we had 7 guitars of various types lying around at any one time (wall hangers are a godsend).

But I would say that although both boys get equal enjoyment from the guitar the one who had earlier formal guitar lessons is the one better at it. This could be for a number of reasons of course but if anything the more self taught one is the more dedicated so I think is related.

Artsacademy Thu 27-Feb-14 15:29:31

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now