Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Cubs badges, football

(16 Posts)
lljkk Sat 25-May-13 08:41:02

DS started Cubs recently, told to bring in football & swimming certificates in order to quickly get badges.

I am used to badges in Brownies but not sure how Cubs works. What are they looking for in these certificates? DS did some 2-3 day football summer camps 2 years ago and has completion certificates from those.

Swimming is better, I suspect, several 400m or Level 4 type certificates.

Would those bits of paper be enough?

Tommy Sat 25-May-13 08:49:51

probably
it's all changed "since our day" grin

DS1 went to an air museum once with the Beavers and then they walked to a park for a picnic - he came home with his aircraft badge and his hiking badge!

Swimming is one of the 'staged' badges members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/search/?cat=12,67,288

All other Cub badge info here: members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/search/?cat=12,67,127

MrsShrek3 Sat 25-May-13 18:59:00

there is a basic fitness / sports badge (football) then there is a bade for much mord commitment + indepth sports, such as playing in a league team all year (ds2 about to get this too)
as already said, swimming is a staged badge and it goes to scouts with them

BackforGood Sat 25-May-13 19:14:08

They need to do them while they are a cub grin
You can do a lot of the badges - probably most - outside of the pack meetings, but you have to show that you have put the effort / time in, and showed some improvement in skill while you are a cub.

I was going to offer the links but ReadytoOrderSir has beat me to it smile

Ragwort Sat 25-May-13 19:17:47

Check the website and also your DS should have received the Cub Handbook when he was invested, all the details are in there cub leader of far too many years speaking grin.

Or better still, chat it though with the leader - most leaders really appreciate constructive feedback rather than parents dropping their children at the door and not even bothering to say hello.

lljkk Sat 25-May-13 19:18:14

I keep looking at those links, am not sure how the right things can be verified from the certificates DS has, iyswim. Especially not for footie.

I just don't want him to be upset if he doesn't get it, need to prepare him without sounding negative.

For Brownies we would basically get a suitable adult (like DD's horse-riding teacher) to sign her little Brownie book to verify she had met the requirements. Ds doesn't have a book like that, so I am not sure how he could do activity badges otherwise.

The skating one is good, DS can do all that... but no one is going to give him a certificate for it. confused

lljkk Sat 25-May-13 19:21:59

X posts: odd, DS leader was told definitely bring old certificates in, this is a brand new group, everyone is new to Cubs. I think no one has been invested yet, so then I will get a booklet someone can sign things off in there, maybe?

Thanks for feedback, though, I think I understand what will happen now. I know someone suitable who could sign off DS's skating, for instance.

BackforGood Sat 25-May-13 19:41:06

The thing being with most of the badges (the Staged ones being the exception, where skill levels are indicated and they can be achieved at any section of the Group from Beavers to Explorers), a lot of them aren't about achieving a certain skill level, they are suggested guidance for someone (like you dd's horse riding teacher) to say they had put in the effort, and improved during that time. It's designed so that everyone who puts the effort in, can achieve at their own level.

If it's a totally new group then I'm wondering if the Leaders have completed their training yet ? Maybe they need to check with their GSL or Training Managers.

lljkk Sat 25-May-13 19:44:52

There was definitely a checklist element in DD's Brownie badges, not just about effort.

BackforGood Sat 25-May-13 19:55:27

Well, there's 33 Activity Badges Here to look at.

Clary Sat 25-May-13 20:02:20

You certainly need to get the swimming one signed off by a swimming teacher.

Not aware of a footy badge for Cubs (hmmm DS2 should get that one if there were!) but maybe it's for the athlete badge and they will also do some activity at a Cubs meeting?

Ragwort Sat 25-May-13 20:37:34

There isn't actually a Football Badge now I think about it, it may be for the 'Sports Enthusiast Badge'. I give my Cubs that Badge if they are members of a team and can talk about it sensibly ............ different Leaders will accept varying degrees of 'proof' for badges, you might be over thinking it a little - it's a Cub Badge not an Oxbridge Degree grin.

lljkk Sat 25-May-13 20:40:35

They are very experienced Cubs leaders, I'm sure they have a plan.
Just feared all the other lads will each have 15 recent sports certificates and DS won't.

RaspberryLemonPavlova Tue 28-May-13 00:22:15

For swimming you have to have taken part in a swimming activity with Cubs/Scouts etc for each level.

The rest of it I printed of the syllabus and asked DCs swimming teacher to sign it. Have done the same with other badges. For entertainers badge DS2 head wrote a letter with the various things DS had done in school which qualified.

Different groups have different ideas. Ours Scout group won't acccept any hikes other than their own, whereas a friend's group will.

BackforGood Tue 28-May-13 15:49:45

I agree with your group Raspberry - the 'hikes' / 'nights away' / etc. all have to be with a Scout organised activity (not necessarily own group, but done as a Scout, not a School residential or family camping holiday, etc.) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now