Summer music courses - London

(12 Posts)
GampyWabbit Sun 23-Jun-13 23:24:41

Thanks fiddlesticks - we'll look in to that too.

hardboiled Sat 08-Jun-13 18:27:48

The CYM do one week long courses at the end of July. Not boarding, day.

alpinemeadow Tue 04-Jun-13 21:22:42

Oh thanks fiddlesticks, that does sound brilliant - particularly the summer extravaganza course! I'd been looking for some one-off days, but it may be that people who organise courses find that you can't do much in just one day! Putting on a performance does sound great,
I'd never heard of this, despite a number of internet searches, so thanks for passing on the info!

fiddlesticks99 Sun 02-Jun-13 16:13:15

Have a look at the Bayswater Suzuki Group web site :

http://bayswatersuzukigroup.com/what-we-do/summer-courses/

They do some really good week long summer courses based in London.
An absolute highlight is their Summer Extravaganza, in the week of the 22nd July, where they manage to put on a musical in a week with children ranging in age from 8 to 16 - and the children play all the music, take all the parts and even paint all the sets.

If your child is a string player or a pianist they also have a wonderful chamber music course earlier on in July that I cannot recommend highly enough.

They also have a suzuki strings course which is meant to be excellent but I see from their web site that that course is virtually full.

Do check them out : they are very really excellent fun. We know several children that have gone on all three of their courses, and cannot recommend them more highly.

alpinemeadow Sat 01-Jun-13 11:08:51

just checked the RCM site which looks great. Just wondering, does anyone know of any London places which might do 1 day music activities for secondary school ages in the holidays - preferably playing instruments? (ie rather than composition)

HabbaDabba Sat 25-May-13 11:33:14

Google 'Pro Corda'. They do residential courses in Suffolk which is about 2-3 hours drive, depending on where abouts in London you live. I highly recommend their courses.

donedreaming Sat 25-May-13 10:23:26

Have you looked at the sparks courses at the RCM. Linked to the proms.
http://www.rcm.ac.uk/sparks/

hardboiled Sun 28-Apr-13 20:56:30

I will check those out quip. Many thanks.

quip Sun 28-Apr-13 15:02:31

I know you said London but if you'll consider residential courses there may be spaces left at the Gloucester Academy of music summer courses.

hardboiled Sat 27-Apr-13 12:16:19

Thanks you Racing, we didn't apply this year, we decided to wait for next year.
So any other ideas welcome...

racingheart Fri 26-Apr-13 20:38:25

Have your DC applied to National Youth Orchestra? Pretty sure they run summer courses in London.

hardboiled Fri 26-Apr-13 12:04:05

Looking for exactly that, medium to advanced music activities/courses during the summer hols for preteens/teens, ranging from 2 weeks to a couple of days, a few hours everyday...Any recommendations...workshops you have heard about? Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now