Vocal talents and how to nurture them!

(9 Posts)
Sarina24 Thu 30-May-13 18:36:18

It would be a problem if the child was training incorrectly. If she starts by singing for fun either with or without a teacher she will be fine. Training incorrectly and forcing the voice is where problems can occur and over working the vocal chords. If she is taught correctly and doesnt force her voice she will be fine. smile

Theas18 Thu 25-Apr-13 12:50:24

joint a decent, preferably auditioned choir. Agree with above- try the county music service . Local to me there is loads going on.

morethanpotatoprints Tue 23-Apr-13 19:10:37

I have also read this and is one of the reasons my dd isn't having singing lessons at the moment.
I think singing lessons that concentrate on musicality are fine, from what I hear its the classical training which isn't to be done.
I was also told this by tutors at Chets as my dd wanted to audition with voice as first instrument, it was a definite NO.

ZZZenEggain Tue 02-Apr-13 11:08:18

it sounds as if she is doing it all by herself really. Just a word of caution: I have been reading that it is unwise to really train a girl's voice before the age of 14, some say even 16. I don't personally know anything about this but it might be wise to investigate.

My dd is 12 and not a born singer like yours but she has started having lessons. I am a bit concerned now after googling it whether she shouldn't wait a couple of years. Apparently you can really damage the voice if you train it in the wrong way, too intensively or too early. I don't see how singing can be harmful, most dc sing but perhaps it is the actual vocal chord training or focus on expanding range or something which is harmful.

I will start a thread to ask about this, so come on there and see if it helps you at all with your dd's situation.

Schmedz Mon 01-Apr-13 11:43:56

Definitely choir training can help, especially with singing a variety of styles, developing proper technique and singing harmonies as well as melody.

If she is blessed with a natural voice talent, and obviously enjoys singing then she is already doing most of what she needs to do ( as long as she is not trying to imitate pop singers or belt without training, she shouldn't be doing any damage either).

ISingSoprano Wed 27-Mar-13 15:19:43

Assuming you are in UK, check out your county music service. My dd is in the county youth choir (there is also a children's choir). This has led to all sorts of other opportunities and they sing a wonderful range of different types of music.

pianomama Wed 27-Mar-13 10:46:46

Is there a choir she can join as well?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 27-Mar-13 06:45:20

You only need to keep doing as you are doing and possibly buy her lots of music of all types to hear....maybe take her to see live music of all kinds.

Sparklymommy Tue 26-Mar-13 20:23:36

My 10 year old dd1 has always sung, from a young age. She has a mature voice for her age and gets a lot of parts through her vocal talents. However I don't know how to help her expand on this. She had a very dear old lady singing teacher for about six months and then the teacher got poorly and eventually died just before Xmas. She was fantastic and got Dd1 opening her mouth and I saw a big improvement in her. I have recently found another singing teacher (much younger!!!) who Dd1 has been going to for about a month now. Dd1 has always sung mainly musical theatre but wants to do more of everything. Soul/classical/jazz/pop anything and everything. I recently bought her a music book and she has been learning "I Put a Spell on You". When she sings it sends shivers down my spine!

Her new teacher is getting me the information on taking examinations and hopes to get Dd1 singing classically as she says she has a very mature voice with a fantastic range. She also has a lot of volume!!!! My question is how do I help her to get the most from her voice? I am not musical really and don't know how to help her with this talent. At the moment she really enjoys her singing and I want to encourage it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now