UK Gymnastics Levels/Grading system.

(8 Posts)
Awakeagain Wed 27-Mar-13 19:32:41

We have county grades (9-14)
Levels are 7easiest I guess to 1 (but only ever seen up to 3 - it friends on no. Of competitors in county I imagine)
I imagine different regions do a similar thing perhaps with different names

LadyLech Wed 27-Mar-13 15:21:49

Ooh, do you get medals for grades ? They don't do that in the southwest region! Not fair!! smile

We also have the best from nationals go off to the finals. I suppose every region will do that.

I have never heard of county levels though. Would that be the same as our county grades? They're quite easy though.

There are lots of other competitions they can do as well. My DD competes in the West Country league for example. They're too numerous and complex to explain. I don't think I have got my head around those ones yet!

Awakeagain Wed 27-Mar-13 04:43:58

Ladylech that's quite a good explanation, I coach gymnastics and the club competes at many different levels (I just reach recreational)

Grades in our county have medals and ribbons depending on number if competitors in grades 14-9 you get pass/distinction and medal placing s
8-5 pass/distinction and medal placings and too gymnasts from each competition go and represent the county at a national final (April time ish)
Grades 4-1 are 'elite' grades, I don't know so much about them but don't think they are competed in county due to less competitors

Levels here run alongside grades and the club selects the level for the gymnast to enter depending in their skill level. Many gymnasts gradually work their way up from 7(the easiest) we used to have 2 comps a year for levels - 1 individual and 1 team, but they have combined to make it easier finding judges

Levels are competitive but more 'for fun' whereas grades you pass to continue to the next level

Alongside this we have competitions run for our recreational children who train different amounts a week, they do floor and vault comps 2/3 times a year (1hr,2hr,4hr,4+hr categories)

Hope this helps

MrsShrek3 Wed 27-Mar-13 02:13:01

oooh linkfail.... what did I (not) do? blush hmm

here

MrsShrek3 Wed 27-Mar-13 02:12:02

check out the BG website [[ http://www.british-gymnastics.org/site/ here]] smile

LadyLech Tue 26-Mar-13 23:52:41

There is a very complicated answer to this. I'm only the mother of a gymnast, but will try to answer it as best to my knowledge...

1. The grades system

The lowest level of competitions would be in a club. Above that you would have county level competitions. These vary from county to county. In my daughters' county, they do grades, starting at 4, going to 1 and then pre level, and finally level I assume??

Then there's regional grades. The lowest is 14 and this goes down to 9, the most difficult of the regional grades.

Above that, there's national grades which start at 8 (easiest) and goes down to 5 (hardest).

The highest level (for elite gymnasts) are the compulsories which start at 4 (easiest) and go down to 1 (hardest).

For grades, you aim to pass. There's usually a minimum score to pass and another to get a distinction. But these events tend not to have medals. It's all about passing.

In addition, there's voluntary competitions, which are done for medals and these are organised on a county / regional / national level. These are done for medals.

There's a good explanation on the "TNAG" website (some gym club in east Anglia who gave explained it all very clearly.

I ought to say my knowledge only extends to the regional / national level. I've not actually experienced anything above that .

Hth anyway!

olimogadoodle Tue 26-Mar-13 19:55:20

Hi I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but my daughter has just been entered for a grade 1 gymnastics competition and I have no idea what bit means so would also be interested in any answers! x

JohannahTS Tue 26-Mar-13 18:07:31

Ok, so I have a few questions about the UK Gymnastics system. I completed the US Gymnastics system where you complete levels 1-10 and then its elite. However, when searching around on google, figured out that the British do it slightly differently.

Here is what I want to know.
- Grades vs Levels?
- Regional vs National vs Elite system?
- Whats the Bronze, Silver, Gold about?
- basically, where would you start? Which route would get you to the end of the levels/grades quicker? Which is less complicated? Which gives you more competition opportunities?

Thanks - P.S. - this isn't for me, I've completed the US Gymnastics system considering thats where I lived when I did Gymnastics. I also have twin daughters who are both Elite gymnasts but after all of their training and competitions am not entirely sure of the system.

I was just wondering because I was offered a coaching job at my local Gym to help out with their summer camp, but thought it would probably be best to actually understand the British Gymnastics levels/grades system!

So basically what I want is a detailed explanation of what the British Gymnastics System is, including the answers to the points I included above!

Thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now