Music theory apps

(7 Posts)

My DD is about to take grade 3 violin and her teacher thinks that she needs to do some work on her theory to help with sight reading. Anyone have any recommendations viz music theory iphone apps?? I thought that she might enjoy one. Thanks smile

Runa76 Sun 27-Jan-13 22:56:51

For sight reading (notes and rhythm) this book is excellent - repetitive lines of music to remember notes - designed for Suzuki students but can be used by all. I have got Vol 1 for my daughter who is approaching grade 1, but it covers grade 1 & 2, so I imagine that grade 3 would be covered by volume 2.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Can-Read-Music-Vol-Violin/dp/0874874394

Other good theory books for general theory are the series by Lisa Ng.

Sorry - don't know any good apps but will look out for other responses on this thread.

Runa (musical parent).

morethanpotatoprints Mon 28-Jan-13 12:16:56

My dds teacher covers theory in the lesson, as an ongoing part of her musical education. She does practice on her own but teacher does the explanation.
Is your teacher doing the same, I ask as it seems pretty standard to all her instrumental teachers.

Yes, her teacher covers theory in her lessons. It's just to help her recognise the notes quicker IYKWIM. An app with a flashcard type system would be the thing she needs I think.

Thanks for the book rec, Runa

Red2003 Wed 30-Jan-13 10:58:47

Hi there We use the ABRSM music theory training apps - they have flashcards that are great for the kids to look at. They are about £4 each.

Thanks. I am sure the abrsm app would help but not necessarily solve the problem as she needs to remember more effectively which string each note lives on! Her teacher thinks she gets a bit confused perhaps because she's left-handed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now