Which guitar to buy?

(5 Posts)
Themumsnot Tue 27-Nov-12 11:50:25

DD1 is 15 and over the past two years has taught herself to play really well using an old half-size guitar a neighbour was chucking out. I am getting her a full-size for Christmas, but she is quite happy playing the half-size really, the full size is more because she wants an electro-acoustic now she has started doing school concerts and open mics and stuff.

Thanks very much - that is really useful advice.

NicholasTeakozy Tue 27-Nov-12 11:42:12

A 3/4 size is a good size to start with. Or, try him with a ukelele.

Beanbagz Tue 27-Nov-12 11:37:33

My DD started on a ¾ size guitar when she was 7 years old and she's still playing it 4 years on. She's not particularily tall for her age. Her guitar teacher said if she started on a ½ size one, we'd have been changing it after a year.

I have 2 DSs, 8 and 6, both fairly tall for their ages, and want to start them learning the guitar. DS1 recently started piano and really enjoys it, and we have a really good AP who plays both piano and guitar, so timing would be great.

From what I understand, you can buy a full size guitar, a half or a 2/3 size....and my question is which one would be best? I am hoping that DS2 will get into this, so suspect that the half size may be best....any advice?

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now