Help! Brownie sash full after one year!

(39 Posts)
3b1g Sun 11-Nov-12 10:29:15

DD joined Brownies a year ago. She was full of enthusiasm about what badges she wanted to work towards, so I invested in the wider sash and started sewing them on in two rows of squares rather than a zigzag row of diamonds so more would fit on. The pack have also done lots of challenge badges (jubilee challenge, Sangam etc) which I've sewn on the back. With two years of Brownies left, the sash is now almost full, even though I've sewn the badges as close together as possible. Which of the following options would be best:
1) sew the 'fun' badges on to a gilet (even though no-one else in the pack does this) making more room for 'earned' badges
2) transfer the oldest badges on to her camp blanket so she only wears the newest ones on the sash
3) buy a second sash to be worn across the first (on the opposite shoulder) and start sewing the newest badges on to this. Has anyone actually done this? Would it look ridiculous?
Any advice gratefully received, especially from Brownie leaders or parents who have experienced this. Thanks.

MrsMerryMeeple Mon 03-Dec-12 13:40:18

LoveBox that made me lol, then shock. What sort of Brown Owl says "nice try, but you didn't do a very good job" ??!?

Ixia Mon 03-Dec-12 13:09:05

DD has just moved Brownies, her old pack sewed badges on their gilets. The new pack leader insists on sashes, to the point of giving us one <grrr>. I'm not unpicking and so far refuse to use the sash, most of the girls don't actually wear the sashes, it seems a shame not to be able to display your badges.

Dancergirl Thu 15-Nov-12 00:02:40

Another one here of the cup of tea hostess badge era! Think I got that one but I also failed at brownies. Hardly any badges and I was on the flipping footpath for ages without progressing to 'road' or 'highway' lol.

Pleased to report that dd is doing a bit better than me. I sew her badges on her gilet. You can line them up touching each other (like tiles) and can get loads on.

EcoLady Wed 14-Nov-12 22:34:28

Loving the velcro tip 83b1g*! I will pass that on to the parents smile

3b1g Wed 14-Nov-12 15:18:38

www.bedsguiding.org.uk/international/India%20Challenge%20Badge%20FINAL%20PDF.pdf

Just in case anyone thought I was making it up about the giant elephant-shaped badge. It's the full width of the wider sash.

Seeline Wed 14-Nov-12 13:54:44

I think the Holiday relates to Pack holidays rather than family trips abroad grin
I think the answer is to eat the food Brown Owl provides rather than stuffing your face with the sweets supposed to be for the midnight feast, and making yourself rather ill wink

3b1g Wed 14-Nov-12 13:47:54

Because unless you've got comprehensive medical insurance, you'll be up the creek without a paddle as most countries don't have an NHS?
Disclaimer: that might not be the answer the tester will be looking for.

Poledra Wed 14-Nov-12 13:44:14

Well, maybe they're thinking about making sure you only drink clean water, not getting sunburned <clutches at passing straws>

BertieBotts Wed 14-Nov-12 13:32:26

I'm just looking at the descriptions now. One of the requirements of the "Holiday" badge (I thought that might be a nice easy one...) is "Know why it is important to keep healthy while on holiday"

I don't! Why is it particularly important on holiday? confused Is this why I utterly suck at life, because I'm incapable of gaining a brownie badge at the age of 24?? <falls apart>

BertieBotts Wed 14-Nov-12 13:29:54

I wanted that hostess badge so badly! I failed utterly at brownies. I think I got about four badges sad

Poledra Wed 14-Nov-12 13:15:27
Poledra Wed 14-Nov-12 13:14:25

DD1's a Pixie, GetOrf smile And she got her hostess badge last term - they each had to invite a friend to Brownies one night and take along cakes and serve their friends.

3b1g Wed 14-Nov-12 13:10:05

They do have the hostess badge! Much to my chagrin, DD has chosen the most homemaking, domestic, housewifey badges to do, three of which involved washing up! Some packs (units?) might still have Imps, but we have squirrels, hedgehogs etc.

MotherfuckingMorrisMan Wed 14-Nov-12 09:12:28

<cries> DD never liked Brownies so I missed out on all this badge stuff.

I desperately wanted her to be in the Imps like me, and to get the Hostessing badge.

Do they still have imps, pixies and sprites and the hostessing badge (I think the bade was a cup of tea). i bet they don't. grin

How lovely that your dd has filled her sash with all her badges OP.

Poledra Wed 14-Nov-12 09:09:12

Well whaddya know? After nearly 6 months MIA, DD1's sash turned up at brownies last night!! grin One of the other brownies had taken it home, and not realised she had it (despite she's in a different Six to DD1, and DD1's initials were written on the label hmm). Anyway, hurray! <goes to get out sewing machine to put on the oodles of badges waiting>

3b1g Wed 14-Nov-12 07:29:14

Great tips, EcoLady. To atop the sash falling off her shoulder, I have sewn a small square of fuzzy velcro on to the shoulder of her top (white so it's not noticeable) and a small square of hook velcro on to the underside of the sash at the shoulder.

EcoLady Wed 14-Nov-12 00:56:27

The wide sashes hold a lot of interest badges if you stagger them and overlap the edges of the sash itself. Think of diagonal rows of 4 attached together.
Another approach is to sew 2 rows 'square on', then a diagonal row overlapping down the centre. Looks very pretty.

The Olympic 'On Your Marks' set of badges are the worst! A set of three huge ones that make a circle wider than the sash, plus one in the middle. Grrrr.

The new style of sash does not help. The slots just do NOT work. [GGUK: please take note]. Overlap the ends of the sash by a good big chunk and pin with one of these www.girlguidingukshop.co.uk/Brownie-Badge-Sash-Pin.aspx Or just sew it together, but with a good overlap. The overlap is key to stopping it falling off the shoulder.

Replacement badges - yes, if paid for and still available. Many one-off 'challenge' badges are fundraisers for the unit that created them. Once they sell out they are gone forever. eBay is then your only hope.

<shudders at memory of distraught Brownie who had lost her Royal Wedding Challenge badge...>

Wider - I cut it in half, hemmed the cut ends, then attached it so the extra bit was 'split' at the shoulder seam - otherwise it stuck out like a huge shoulder pad! It wasn't ideal but it did the job.

3b1g Mon 12-Nov-12 17:45:01

oopslateagain: that sounds ingenious: did you use the extra fabric to make the sash longer or wider?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Mon 12-Nov-12 17:10:16

I think most Brownie leaders would be willing to supply replacement badges if you were willing to pay the cost. I give my Brownies replacements if they pay - it's amazing how many of them manage to lose badges between the Brownie hall and home. confused

I cut a new sash in half and sewed it onto the bottom of her old sash, so DD had a double-decker sash! It does seem a bit daft that they have so many badges and some are really big.

Since DD's been in Guides, I bought a camp blanket and all her Guide badges go on that. Much easier (but a bugger to sew, though).

Poledra Mon 12-Nov-12 16:53:07

DD1 has lost her sash sad - it was already full on the front and I'd just started on the back but she has no idea where it has gone. I really wish I'd sewn the badges onto her top but I was thinking that using a sash would mean I didn't have to unpick and resew the badges each time she outgrew her T-shirt.

Can we ask for replacement badges, does anyone know (I'd pay for them, of course)?

3b1g Mon 12-Nov-12 16:41:51

I agree: each badge seems to be bigger than the last. The last one I had to sew on was a huge elephant-shaped one for Sangam India 2012.

DeWe Mon 12-Nov-12 10:17:40

The problem is that there's so many big badges now.

Dd's leader doesn't like the sashes because she says all that happens is they fall off when playing and trip them up, or they take them off and lose them. Saved me buying one anyway. grin

However this year there have been so many events they've given large badges (think 2" diameter) that her brownie top is full sleeves, and front and back and feels like it's been stiff starched.

They had a couple for the jubilee, 3-4 for special events organised for them to go on, a huge one for the olympics, plus the usual ones they earn over the year.

She's got another year and a bit to go as well...

LittleBearPad Sun 11-Nov-12 19:25:32

Sorry the Lordy is about the changes in Brownies, not your daughter who has done brilliantly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now