Teaching yourself piano - possible?

(9 Posts)
mumzy Sun 28-Oct-12 08:39:40

Hi I've been learning the piano for about a year and got up to grade 2 however time issues ave meant I can't practise as regularly as my teacher would like and I'm beginning to find I'm practising during the lessons rather than learning anything new. I really enjoy playing the piano and want to know if its possible to teach yourself up to grade 5. I just want to be able to do it in my own time without the pressure every week.

BrittaPerry Sun 28-Oct-12 09:06:39

Could you get a teacher that can just do lessons on an ad hoc basis?

This is one who works online

He doesn't really do grades - he is more about playing music for the joy of it, but he is excellent.

I'm sure there are others. You could just ask for lessons when you need help, and teach yourself the rest of tge time.

APMF Tue 06-Nov-12 15:44:59

It's not that you don't have the time to practice (or are you really that busy that you can't spare 20min/day?). It's a motivation thing.

At the moment you tell yourself that the time would be better spent practicing at home rather than driving to your teacher and paying for her to listen to you practice. If you get rid of your teacher you will merely find an excuse not to practice during that time slot.

I am the same way and I see myself in you. Hence the 'wisdom' smile

lljkk Tue 06-Nov-12 15:48:34

I don't see why you couldn't get yourself to Grade 5 without a teacher. But you'll have to put in a lot more than 20 min/practice day.

If you go to PianoWorld Forums there are loads of adult learners, they all think of 1 hour/day as minimum required to make progress.

castlelough Tue 06-Nov-12 16:01:22

Hi mumzy!
I went back to piano lessons last year and did Grade 3 in June. Am currently working towards Grade 4 for Feb and according to my teacher could be ready to sit Grade 5 in June. I was super diligent last year, but have found myself busier this year. I will always manage to squeeze in 2x30 mins and maybe 1x 45 mins practising but it really isn't enough when you consider pieces, scales, theory book that I am way behind on!
But I like my teacher and she motivates me very well. I don't always do all the 'homework' she gives me, but without the weekly lesson I would not achieve as much.
I wouldn't have as much discipline left to my own devices.....

ZZZenAgain Tue 06-Nov-12 18:11:32

can you have a lesson less frequently?

Floralnomad Tue 06-Nov-12 18:16:44

Are you wanting to actually take the grades or just get to grade 5 level pieces ? If its the latter I think I'd be tempted to stop the lessons for a bit and see how you get on .

mumzy Sat 10-Nov-12 23:33:09

Dont want to take any more grades but playing for enjoyment. i want to make progress so that I can tackle more. Difficult pieces and have some knowledge of music theory. In truth I find the lessons a bit dull as the theory stuff at the moment seems quite abstract don't know whether its the teachers explaination but I just love being able to play music. I had a really good piano teacher before who was also a properly trained teacher and incredibly patient and inspiring. my current one is a muscian who teaches music as a sideline and I think That makes a difference.

Sparklyboots Sat 10-Nov-12 23:36:37

If you just want to play, any instrument is self-teachable IME. But it sounds like you just need to swap teachers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now