How much should I charge for beginner piano lessons?

(14 Posts)
thequietone Fri 20-Apr-12 10:13:02

I'm hoping to start teaching children piano from home. The thing is, I've not ever done it before. I don't know how qualified one has to be? I've ABRSM 1-8 in piano and violin, a 10 year scholarship to a music school from 8-18 and a music degree. Is that sufficient, or do I need more than that?

From what I've got in skills, how much should I charge students?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

DeWe Fri 20-Apr-12 13:39:55

Have you done any of the beyond grade 8 stuff in piano?

Beginners lessons round here are around £13 per 30 minutes generally. But the teachers I know have further qualifications than grade 8.

titchy Fri 20-Apr-12 13:56:59

Have you done your DipABRSM? Might be worth at least doing the teaching one, or maybe a PGCE?

For beginner lessons obviously your piano skills are fine, but you might want to look at gaining some actual teaching skills.

You'll also presumably need a CRB check.

Lessons costs as DeWe says, but that would be for qualified teacher which you're not, so maybe £8-10 per half hour?

BackforGood Fri 20-Apr-12 14:01:54

I'd be very happy with your qualifications for teaching my dc.
I'd suggest about £12/half hour.

titchy Fri 20-Apr-12 14:47:10

I'd be happy with you too don't get me wrong!

But presumably your students will progress and you won't want to pass them on to another teacher so I'd advise doing some sort of teaching qualification alongside the instrument teaching so you can use different teaching methodologies as they develop their piano skills.

I started to teach my own dd piano (and only have G7 myself!), but after a year tbh I really didn't know how to develop her any further so I handed her over to a qualified teacher.

thequietone Fri 20-Apr-12 14:54:52

I couldn't go beyond grade 8, as my hands were too small to cope with anything more advanced. My teacher and I used to have to tippex out notes and place them elsewhere in another octave on desperate occasions!

This is really helpful advice - I thought I'd need something more than just my experience. I'll look into this now.

titchy Fri 20-Apr-12 15:01:36

I had the same problem - dd has too! We can just about manage an octave but not with any notes in the middle! Piano isn't her first instrument fortunately but she really needs to do it in case she wants to do music at university!

LorraineSE22 Thu 10-May-12 15:52:36

You don't need any qualifications to teach privately from home as it's an unregulated industry.

However, if you were to approach a school about working there as a peripatetic music teacher, they would usually expect a BMus and/or a Licentiate Diploma in teaching and performing.

The average rate for qualified piano teachers working in London state schools is around £27 an hour.

CURIOUSMIND Thu 10-May-12 22:45:46

Maybe you are better than you thought. You must be very talented to get a place in music school.(Do you mean the specialist school?Like Cheatham?)
I would love to meet a teacher who experienced with small hands doing big movement!
Price range from I have ever heard, also depends on your area,is £10-£25/30mins.

stretchmummy Thu 10-May-12 22:57:08

£16 per 30 mins here in Leicestershire

ShellingPeas Fri 11-May-12 18:51:10

Locally teachers charge from £12-£16 per half hour (South East).

You would be fine to start teaching with your qualifications - grade 8 in two instruments plus a music degree is better than many in my area - but there are many avenues to help develop your teaching skills. As already mentioned look into any of the teaching diplomas with Trinity Guildhall, Royal Schools and London College of Music, or you could go down the European Piano Teachers Association route and do one of their courses (they are good - I've done one). Alternatively the CTABRSM is good, although expensive and there are MA post graduate courses available at Reading University I believe. Both RSM and TG run professional development courses throughout the year with details on their websites.

The entry level teaching diplomas (ATCL, dipABRSM, ALCM) don't actually require you to have pupils at that point but licentiate level and above will.

You don't require (by law) a CRB check, but it is worthwhile to have one. As a self-employed teacher the easiest way of doing this is through an umbrella organisation or by volunteering/working at a school or church or scouts/guides/similar groups.

thundercat04 Sun 20-May-12 22:16:08

Do happen to live near se21 OP as looking for a new piano teacher for my DD who is seven smile

morethanpotatoprints Wed 30-May-12 22:16:15

Just as Shelling peas said. In addition the best teachers of music ime have been the ones who teach music not how to play 3 pieces and collect grade 1-8. I know several leading musicians who tutor at conservatoires who have never passed a grade, teaching qualification as in PGCE, but have a degree as you have. If you are a parent as well this is a bonus as kids and parents will relate to you. Hope you get this post and wish you well. Everybody has to start with their first pupil. Go for it.

Artsacademy Thu 27-Feb-14 15:20:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now