Biggest Tuition Scams - Explore Learning, Kumon & Student Support Centre

(43 Posts)
Sophie1978 Thu 14-Apr-11 18:15:16

The 3 Biggest Scams in After-School Tuition

1. Explore Learning Scam No. 1 (charging for crappy American software, when much better is free on internet - see many free links below that offer better software than Explore Learning).

2. Student Support Centre Scam No. 2 (massively overpriced videos that children cannot understand - they still ask for a tutor).

3. Kumon Scam No. 3 (massively overpriced worksheet printing service - includes no tuition, marking, teaching or support - parents have to do everything).

All three of the above rake off massive amounts of money, use aggressive sales tactics, and are not 'tuition providers' at all.

The fact is it’s only because we parents have been so gullible that all 3 of the above get away with. Don't get ripped off by Explore, Student Support, or Kumon.

Kumon worksheets actually reduced my child to tears through a combination of no teaching or explanation, endless repetition and intense boredom. Children need more.

I myself have been ripped off by two of the above, and warned about the other by many parents. Now I am much more careful.

If you want tuition (and the truth is all children need it today), then my advice is get free worksheets and software off the internet. But if you are serious about your child's education pay for it. We get what we pay for. A good tutor usually costs £30-50 per hour now. However, if you are lunch you can get some very good tuition centres that will teach properly with real teachers for just £15 per hour. That is pretty good value.
Links:

These are good and are free.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks1bitesize/index.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks2bitesize/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks3bitesize/
http://uk.ixl.com/math/years

These are very good and cost peanuts.
http://www.mymaths.co.uk/
http://www.themathsfactor.com/

But I would still recommend getting a proper tutor or tuition centre. In the long-run they are worth the investment.

PrincessV22 Tue 17-Jun-14 13:21:05

I also don't think extra learning or tutoring is right for all children. But maybe think of it like this (similar to another message above):

Do all children have the potential to be amazing at maths (or any other subject?). I think not but this may be open to debate.... Will they become 'amazing' without a coach or just through school? What if Andy Murray hadn't had extra tennis coaching?......

forago Tue 17-Jun-14 13:08:15

I'm not convinced all children need tutoring - why if they are not struggling with anything?

PrincessV22 Tue 17-Jun-14 13:06:11

My eldest DS has been doing Kumon for nearly 3 years now and while there are still some areas for development in his maths in general, he is a happy confident chappy who is 'near' the top of the class. 3 months ago he asked me if he could start the English too because he didn't feel as confident with his writing as he did with his maths. This is what I wanted for him - to take ownership, care and responsibility of his own learning. For him to have done this at 8 years old I'm thrilled. Some days he moans, but I've learned over the years that as long as the work is at the right level and manageable for him, he's happy to complete it. If not, I speak to his instructor and she tweaks his level. I started my youngest around 6 months ago and while his ability hasn't improved hugely, his teacher at school tells me he's her most enthusiastic learner and demonstrates far superior concentration and posture while working than any others in her class.
I have to admit, Explore Learning looks tempting - the idea of being able to do the shopping in peace while the children learn - it's ideal for any busy mum. But I urge anyone thinking about it to just stand outside and watch the children for 10 minutes. The classes are noisy, unstructured and the children are not taught to sit quietly and learn to concentrate, which let's face it - must be the most important skill needed for any learning.
I've been a teacher for many years and i do think private tutors have their place, but I believe developing independence and study skills are much more important. Surely the worst possible outcome is that a child becomes reliant on having someone sitting next to them teaching them how to do each different topic and this is what a tutor will unavoidably nurture. If the commitment of Kumon is too much I think the books in WHSmith are much better (and cheaper) than a tutor.

ragtimer Sat 14-Jun-14 13:24:17

Correcting typo: What I felt like asking.

ragtimer Sat 14-Jun-14 13:22:54

Don't your kids go to school?
Exactly was I felt like asking, Bananarama!
In my days, the school was supposed to teach you.
A child got extra tutoring if they were getting Fs.
If you got a B, well that was ok. You were a B student. It wasn't the end of the world. The streets are not filled with homeless unemployed B or C students from the seventies.
I agree the above mentioned learning centres are scams. But they exist because parents are willing to pay. Push. Push. Push.

Solution: fix parents' mindsets and let these joke businesses run out of clients.

I do private tuition and recently Explore Learning opened up nearby. I contacted them to enquire about jobs but they told me they only really hire students and pay minimum wage! Needless to say they weren't interested in my £30p/h fee or my decade of teaching experience...

Clarinet9 Fri 13-Jun-14 13:27:17

I have no experience of Explore learning other than going to the local supermarket and seeing children sitting in front of computers, after a quick look at the website it was pretty clear they are (?most of the time) not using teachers.

One of the mothers at my son's previous school had the franchise for Kumon, again no suggestion that she was a teacher or teaching, but one of her very close friends did tell everyone in the playground who would stand still long enough that the Kuomn lady's son had got a scholarship to a local public school ONLY because he had done so much Kumon!!!

this went on for months and just made me laugh but she sucked quite a few of the parents into paying her for Kumon worksheets!

gd1976 Tue 27-May-14 22:14:20

My son has been lacking in confidence when it comes to reading and writing, and we recently were told by school he was far below the expected level for his age, and I cannot start to tell you how explore learning has changed that. He has only had 5 sessions and already his teachers are commenting on what a dramatic improvement he has made, he can't wait to go to explore learning, having always been so negative in the past about anything associated with letters:numbers/reading.... And for people who think "but you can do it at home", well my son certainly would not entertain the idea of doing that level of work with me at home, and short of forcing him to do it, and therefore creating a negative way of doing the work, this would not be an option for me. I have not found the money easily and it is a commitment and expense, but from our personal point of you, it has been absolutely amazing.....smile

BelleOfTheBorstal Sun 09-Mar-14 17:01:43

I underwent kumon maths as a teenager. My basic addition and subtraction were appalling ( as I am dyspraxic).
It really helped me. The worksheets were marked by the people running the sessions and I got a small prize every week upon completion of that weeks worksheets.
I did find it utterly dull but at least I can now do basic mental sums!

SlightlyMe Sun 09-Mar-14 16:49:52

I use a number of sites
notably
www.primaryresources.co.uk/
but also
www.topmarks.co.uk/
www.coolmath-games.com/
but for maths
www.math-aids.com/ is simply awesome
and all are free!
Maths-aid I can give my kids loads of extra work and as it generates work sheets on the fly never runs out..

teddybear21 Wed 04-Dec-13 10:03:40

We learn by having things explained to us as adults rather than performing tasks as automatons. Why should children be any different? Short term examination results by no real teaching is a false economy. Real teaching has to involve explanation and mentoring so building a child’s confidence. Flash marketing machines and computers are no substitute for true one to one teaching. I learned this to my cost. After experiencing several “tick box” tutors only one stood out as providing real tuition for my daughter. I would suggest to parents to try www.ntrancetutors.co.uk. They really made a positive long term difference to my daughter’s education.

Startail Mon 25-Feb-13 14:11:34

Although tyhe dyslexics amongst us do have to get our DH or 12 yo's to proof our spelling.

Startail Mon 25-Feb-13 14:09:53

With the exception of languages and possibly to get inside info on the 11+.
Why the hell would any educated parent need to pay a tutor.

Surely the only reason you can afford a tutor is that you have a decent job, to get that job you had a decent education. Surely with a good CGP revision text book and BBC bitesizesd you can tutor your child yourself to at lest GCSE.

mumofteen Fri 22-Feb-13 17:21:42

Chopchop I also disagree. Kumon works! Surely everyone realises we learn through repetition. How does a baby learn to talk, how do we learn to play an instrument. In order to be good at something we need to practise it over and over till we have mastered it. Andy Murray has hit more than a few balls to get to where he is today, Tiger Woods has put in a good few hours of practise. If you want to understand why the Kumon Method works read "The Talent Code: Greatness isn't born. It's Grown" Daniel Coyle and "Bounce: The Myth of Talent and the Power of Practise". If you want to master something you need to practise it a little every day. I have two DD's doing Kumon, both were middle of the road students before they started. Now eldest DD is in the top Maths set in the top school according to the Times List, this is not a coincidence. Is she overworked and pushed too hard - No! she does 15-30 mins maths a day, and still manages to squeeze in 4-5 hours on facebook/TV smile
If your thinking about Kumon give your child a chance and decide for yourself, you wont regret it.

tersha Sat 02-Feb-13 15:15:30

I want my kids helped (when they need it) by people not computers. Having said that, I did hear that some places have 'tutors' with only two grade Cs at GCSE! My friends kids all seem to go to MagiKats and seem to like it. I need to find out more.

maz1982 Fri 11-Jan-13 14:18:22

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BrummieBelle Wed 02-Jan-13 17:35:54

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

bananaramma Wed 02-Jan-13 07:54:59

Don't your kids go to school?
That is where my children learn their maths and English (and other subjects). That is also where I learned these subjects. Why in earth do kids need all this extra tuition shock?

My kids would rather pursue their other hobbies in their (little) spare time.

anitasmall Mon 31-Dec-12 12:58:55

I also checked the Khan Academy. It is really good.

Tutoring is important for those children who has many LA class mates. Not all the schools and classes are the same.

hamstered Mon 31-Dec-12 01:20:18

I tried Kumon with my daughter for about a year. She was bored , frustrated and hated maths. It was a complete waste of money. I have heard similar things about explorelearning and did not appreciate their hard sell techniques either.

My daughter was using myMath.com for school and homework and that worked really well for her. I was wondering if there was anything similar out there?

Thanks EdnaScoggins for the tip on the khan academy, I have spent a good hour checking it out and am very impressed.

EdnaScoggins Sun 16-Dec-12 20:24:20

Like the look of the khan academy, ReallyTired. smile

AChickenCalledKorma Sun 16-Dec-12 20:22:59

"I know many parents from my school's PTA, and I have yet to meet one that said their child didn't need tuition or help."

If that was the case at my children's school, I would be seriously worried about the school. No school should be relying on all parents to make up for its deficiencies by paying for tutors.

Totally agree with you about the Student Support Centre, though. I think their marketing techniques are shocking.

ReallyTired Sun 16-Dec-12 20:18:46

I am surprised there are many parents who can afford tutoring 3 times a week. I assume they are parents who can't get their children to sit down and work.

Where I am tutoring is £22 a group session and is a lot money for many families to find. I am agast that parents fork out money for tutoring 3 times a week.

GoldQuintessenceAndMyhrr Sun 16-Dec-12 19:21:30

My son has been tutored once a week since the beginning of the calendar year. It has been really good for him. He had big gaps in his learning after 3 years away from the UK curriculum. He also likes bitesize and Mathletics. But, some of the children in his class go to their tutors 3 times per week.... No wonder the level is high in his class. His school benefit immensely from such pushy parents when it comes to SATS, and pride themselves on their good teaching, ha! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now