Does anyone have boys who play rugby?

(37 Posts)
foxinsocks Sun 08-Nov-09 14:52:16

so ds has started playing rugby

but where do I find all the stuff he needs? He's U8s now so no contact but they've said he should have a gum guard (is boil and bite ok at his age and where do I get that?). And rugby boots are different to football (apparently) but how do you know which are which in the shops (I know I could ask but I want to make sure I am not sold a dummy - he has football boots already so I know what those are but didn't know there were different ones for rugby)?

I get to do the sport with them myself as dh not really around on the weekend and I 'get' football but have had nothing to do with rugby so am not sure

mrsMoose - DS1 plays flanker, and doesn't wear a cap. D2 plays hooker and he does.

mrsMoose6 Mon 01-Oct-12 11:33:36

My DS1 is winger and just bought armour. This is a padded undershirt. The padding looks like a honeycomb of small pads. He says that he must have it now since quite a number of others have it. We bought Ventilator Headgear to protect his head. It is like a skull cap with a mix of the small pads honeycombed over interspersed with air holes. DA1 refuses to wear it. Only scrums wear caps. He showed me images of prof rugby matches (no headgear) and schlby matches (same). Do others agree it would be better if all boys wore headgear? I have checked injuiries.

needshelpwitheveryday Fri 14-Sep-12 15:50:14

P.s this is for Rugby Balls - honestly blush teenage son pointing out HUGE omission there blush

needshelpwitheveryday Fri 14-Sep-12 15:48:51

has anyone else seen the post on Martins money saving expert site about the Lusum brand?? they are looking for teams to give feed back on their new balls!! they want players and teams to get in touch and then they will either give a free ball to try or a discount off the balls. I applied for my sons team and got a great ball back - I have to say I was impressed and so was his school team.

if anyone knows some one this could be useful tell them to get in touch they can email to enquires@lusum.co.uk like I did or I think there is a number on www.lusum.co.uk I really hope this helps some one :-)

thebestisyettocome Tue 19-Jun-12 22:28:43

Body armour and headguards are frowned upon because they are associated with Rugby League which is looked down upon by the 'amateur code.' They think it's a game for plebs and not played by 'people like them.'
Rant over.

skelly6 Tue 19-Jun-12 22:17:42

know I'm late coming into this discussion but wanted to add my tuppenworth her. all 4 of my kids play rugby - my daughter at u11's my twins at u9's and my youngest at u7's - all to move up this coming season. 3 eldest ALL wear body armour and scrum caps and gum shields, youngest wears scrum cap and gum shield. my clubs policy is that if they start wearing protection young they will learn to wear it correctly - as in wear the body armour as you begin contact and you will learn how to hit correctly and not rely on the armour to protect you - I don't think any child can learn to rely on not getting hurt, it is up to the coaches ot teach them how to tackle and fall and how to keep themselves safe. yes rugby is a violent 'hands on' sport but believe me I'd rather be a spectator at a rugby game than at a football game! I'm proud that my kids play for a well respected in the are club, and that they respect their coaches and respect what they are taught. I really can't see how wearing protection can be a bad thing - we've had kids who have been hit and hit hard and they've run off to mum and not come back, all our kids wear body armour of some description so all have an equal feel for the his iyswim, no-one recommended it, we just all did it! surely the protection is there to keep the kids safe? isn't that what we all want?

anna83 Thu 07-Apr-11 11:43:51

Oh so sorry to read about the Purpleduck's injury but foxinsocks i ld like to mentioned one more thing may be during game you may fall & lost your teeth too so also wear the Mouth-Guard while palying. i am using this www.night-guard.co.uk/ compnay Mouth-Guard while taking part in any game.
Retainers

foxinsocks Sun 08-Nov-09 21:48:17

oh that seems so young to have an injury like that purpleduck and your boy too drayford

it just all seems so unnecessary (playing sport that could injure your head that way)

dislocated shoulders are nasty because of the propensity to have it happen again once it's happened once

poor lads!

purpleduck Sun 08-Nov-09 21:24:45

foxinsocks my ds was 9. It was scary becasue although it was "only a concussion" (which is what I would have thought before this happened), it took a long time for him to get back to normal - his balance was off for awhile, he was clumsier and got more headaches sad. It has really made me think how easy it could be for him to get seriously injured.

Drayford Sun 08-Nov-09 18:54:58

A Scrum hat is a good idea even at a young age. As I mentioned in my previous post - DS was concussed twice last year (knocked out & hospitalised once, and mild the second time). A few years ago at DS's school a boy (from a visiting school) had a serious brain injury from a knock on the head in a Senior Colts game.

A lot of DS's team mates have tried body armour but found it restrictive - they concentrate on fitness and body strength instead.

My DS is currently undergoing intensive physio (and due to have a surgical procedure) to correct damage caused by a dislocated shoulder whihc resulted from a dump tackle - body armour would not have prevented the injury.

I think it's not the body armour that hurts players, per se, it's the way you can, as ABD says, use your body and your head in ways you couldn't before without hurting yourself so the game becomes rougher. Players these days don't have the respect for their body, and other people's, when tackling because they have so much protection and if you're not wearing it you're at a disadvantage. You do play differently - body armour lets you take more risks with your body and use more force against other players.

I know it's not exactly steel padding but it's still actually quite solid foam - DH2Bs is sort of built into his shirt (makes it a nightmare to wash) and it's not got a lot of give in it and that, apparently, is the 'light' protection. If someone pushes past a bit roughtly when wearing it then you definitely feel it and it really hurts if it catches the wrong part of you (like your head)! His AF stuff is scary - solid plastic which makes his already bulky shoulders about 2 inches wide either side and you can hit down with enough force to break a normal collarbone without him even bruising!

So yes, I agree with scrum caps, they are a good thing in terms of preventing concussion, but I regret that body armour has been allowed in. I'm not saying boys shouldn't wear it - if one player does then all players should - but for the reasons I've already given I think it's a bad thing and agree with ABD that's it's a backward step. However that's the way the game is now, increased injuries and all, so (sadly) it's necessary.

snorkie Sun 08-Nov-09 17:50:37

The scrum hats help prevent cauliflower ear as well as concussion.

After I watched a few games of rugby & ds had had concusion, the mother hen in me just had to buy ds all the protective gear available. 11 or 12 year olds can be really scary sometimes!

After about age 11, they used to have their boots inspected to ensure they had the right studs, but it's easy enough to switch football studs to rugby ones.

foxinsocks Sun 08-Nov-09 17:25:22

I would worry about the head injuries I think. How old was your boy when he got concussed purpleduck?

My ex boyfriend from many moons ago in one season, broke his sternum (terribly painful..everytime you breath you feel it), did his knee ligaments and had more stitches than I could count. It is a horribly rough sport if you think about it!

ABetaDad Sun 08-Nov-09 17:24:30

purepurple - my wife says similar things about body armour but I totally agree with frakkinaround. It causes injury and for that reason is a backward step. I only got concussed once in the whole time I played without any protection at senior level.

In American football the huge body pads and steel helmets only came into the game relatively recently. In the early days of the game the players only wore light padding or nothing at all like in old fashioned Rugby Union. Once body armour came in to the American football game the game changed and players got far more injury. The reason being that it was possible to body slam and point of head tackles where the steel helmet is used as a battering ram straight into the abdomen.

Look at the adult rugby game now and the huge wall of bodies going into tackles standing upright at full speed is only possible with body armour.

Quattrofangs - OPRO shields can be gently reshaped for a few years wth rewarming but yes they do get lost. The junior ones are about £20.

purpleduck Sun 08-Nov-09 17:14:17

My sons body armour is quite squishy - more like hard foam rather than plastic.

Food for thought Frakkin

alypaly Sun 08-Nov-09 17:06:45

I was so glad when my now 16.5 year old DS decided not to play for his school despite being 6ft 4. A friend of mine broke his neck whilst playing rugby and ended up in one of those frame things screwed into his skull for 12 motnhs. Really rough game...dont want DS2 to break his nose or teeth or collar bones...or get cauliflower ears like some have already got.

The problem is, purple, that the body armour actually causes more injuries than it prevents IME. My DH2B still plays (and he was an American footballer at uni) and he says that rubgy has become rougher and more like AF because people don't respect the fact that wearing body armour means you hurt people more when you bash into them. I never played wearing body armour and yes, you get hurt, but I've been bashed into - not hard - by someone wearing the bloody stuff and it really, really, really hurts. It's rock solid and with some serious force behind it causes huge damage. Having said that, now that it's allowed, if one person has it then everyone needs it.

Scrum caps are a good idea though, because you really can't be too careful with concussion, and I would advise having one as well as a properly fitted mouthguard, even in non-contact a mis-directed kick can lose you a tooth and certainly make a lip bleed quite profusely!

purpleduck Sun 08-Nov-09 16:52:48

"The whole body armour thing is a sad and backward step"
ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
If you had a VERY small 10 yo who loves to tackle, you would not feel that body armour and helmets are a sad/backward step.

It is a DANGEROUS game. I am now at the point where i am not sure if he should continue to play any more. He suffered a concussion at easter, and it took months for him to get back to normal.A few weeks ago his coach decided to go from warm up to tackling practice without a chance for them to put their helmets on - he bonked heads with another boy and ended up with a headache which lasted for 2 days. He has needed adjusting at the Osteopath - his body really takes a beating because he puts everything into it.

It is a great sport, but there is huge scope to hurt themselves.
The more protection the better.

foxinsocks Sun 08-Nov-09 16:49:28

gawd, for some reason he loves me staying for matches.

He's only been once (to rugby) so far and his friend's mum took him so I've yet to see what they do so will stay next week just to get an idea.

He always goes on his own for training but he likes me to support him in matches (esp as dh can't be here to see him!). I don't mind too much given that I'm at work all week.

Quattrofangs Sun 08-Nov-09 16:42:50

Opro mouthguards are expensive and you have to get a new one every year (or every time they are lost GRRR) but they are essential. Tag rugby doesn't seem to mean no contact at all contrary to what they say it is

Also the studs are different so you do need either rugby boots or rugby studs

My DS is only u10 but no sign of body armour yet and none of the other teams seem to have it.

NB You don't actually have to stay and watch the matches you know ... You can zip off and zoom around sainsbury's or something providing you leave a contact number

foxinsocks Sun 08-Nov-09 16:37:42

I don't think they only play tag rugby - think they are starting to do other things too <clueless>

Celia2 Sun 08-Nov-09 16:34:11

My dd used to take her pop up tent and a blanket. She'd set up camp and would soon meet a fellow bored sibling to play with.

posieparker Sun 08-Nov-09 16:29:56

Tag rugby...what does he need a mouth guard for?

alypaly Sun 08-Nov-09 16:28:13

OPRO are really expensive mouthguards.

My DS2 is 16 and we have bought a better quality one from a sports shop. Decathlons are a bit cheap and nasty,but as long as it fits.
They do loose them frequently and at £35 a go for OPRO it works out quite expensive. Decathlons are about £3 and we got one at £8 which has prooved to be fine

foxinsocks Sun 08-Nov-09 16:23:19

thanks for all these tips

I feel a weak smile at all the cold weather watching ones! At least football is over pretty quickly at this age. Rugby seems to focus on tournaments bbbrrr!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now