ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Moonwalk

(263 Posts)
Haribosmummy Fri 09-Jan-09 17:47:49

Anyone doing it?

Either London or Edinburgh?

Anyone interested in a fitness / support thread?

I'm doing it for the 3rd time in May (missed last year, as it was the night DS was born!) and really looking forward to it, but feeling a bit more apprehensive, as I'm not as fit as I used to be!

Haribosmummy Thu 22-Jan-09 11:37:16

Yes, you all start together.. When you get to 12.5 miles, there or thereabouts, your friend will peel off to finish and you will keep going! You will be able to stay together right up until she needs to separate to finish.

bigTillyMint Thu 22-Jan-09 12:50:49

Oh that's good! I wonder what would happen if she just carried on for the whole thing, if she was feeling up for it - would it be a problem, do you think?

Haribosmummy Thu 22-Jan-09 13:23:49

Well, the organisers are dead set against it, cos the police give them a hard time if more people than those registered do the walk... I know the first time it was held, loads of people just joined in and the whole thing nearly got cancelled for good...

YOu get a different coloured hat for the half moon, though I suppose you could 'lose' that... but I am not sure if there is something on the number you have to wear that would give it away to the organisers (there are LOTS of marshalls on the way round)

my gut feeling is that you COULD get away with it, but I'm really not certain of that, and I think it would be preferable to stick to the walk you've signed up for...

(FWIW, if your friend collected sponsorship for the half moon but then did the full moon, it will appear that she didn't complete either - the results are published in the Telegraph and anything she collects on line would be invalid too)

bigTillyMint Thu 22-Jan-09 13:30:03

Oh, thanks Haribo - I think she'd better stick to the half marathon!

letuseatcake Sun 25-Jan-09 15:48:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hellooooo smile

I'm doing this too (London)- for the first time this year. I have a training buddy locally so we've been going out 3x week for the last 3 weeks.

Interesting that you suggest doing a full 26 miles at least once, haribo - all the training programs we've looked at don't go over 20/22 miles which was making me very nervous... (although of course they are assuming you train 3/4 x week, so you have done way more than 26 over the week)

bigTillyMint Sun 25-Jan-09 15:59:21

FP, where are you in London? (I am too!)

envy at your 3x a week training! We are training 1x week together but I do go to the gym, and walk about 2 1/2 miles to work 3x a week.

How far do you walk each time?

I'm Surrey/London borders, bigTillyMint - out beyond Kingston. Where are you?

At the moment we're doing 4k on Mon & Weds, and 8k on Fridays - our training schedule (can you tell I'm training with someone more organised than myself grin) is basically keeping 2 x 'short' walks to build speed, and then the Friday one gets longer & longer (& moves onto weekend once we can't manage the whole thing on Fri nights!

bigTillyMint Mon 26-Jan-09 17:43:03

We are in SE London, so not very near at all grin

We are currently doing 5-6 miles once a week and from Saturday (eek!) will also do a 10miler, or morehmm

Apart from that, I am trying to walk 5 miles in the gym once a week, plus other cv stuff in the gym twice a week. Sounds OK, but I'm not sure if it's right - it's hard finding enough time!

Is anyone else developing strange aches and pains? The first week it was my knees, last week my thighs, and now my calves. grin

bigTillyMint Fri 30-Jan-09 20:24:45

Now it's my knees again, and we've got a 10miler coming up tomorrow...

bigTillyMint Sun 01-Feb-09 11:37:20

Where is everyone???

Feeling very proud that I managed to do the 10 miles, and no aches and pains today!

How is everyone else doing?

letuseatcake Sun 01-Feb-09 21:25:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bigTillyMint Sun 08-Feb-09 16:04:36

Is everyone snowed in?

Hoping to get in a good walk this week, but DH has just announced that I need to get a babysitter for our weekly slot this weekangry

kiwibella Wed 11-Feb-09 15:15:31

I got my pack in the post this week - it is very encouraging and I found the suggested training schedule useful guidance. I am not able to get a lot of walking in which I really need to address... I am doing my best to walk everywhere with my dd - which is what slows me down grin.

The ice is hazardous!!

hello all smile
Have had a slightly rubbish few weeks, as me & my training buddy have both been busy. BUT we did do a 12 mile walk last week (on a Fri night, who says i don't know how to have fun?!). My back ached part way in (think I need to tilt my pelvis more grin) but no aches the next morning, which was a bloody miracle!

bigTillyMint Thu 12-Feb-09 15:25:48

I got mine too kbgrin
Where are you? the ice has finally gone here now.

Well done fp - how long did it take? Impressed that you didn't get waylaid by a pub on a Friday night!

Aiming to do 10 miles or so on Sat - hope it's not too cold!

And I have splashed out on a gadget - got a pedometersmile

hello all,

hope all is going well, we have finally recieved our packs. Trainig all going ok, do 4-5 mmiles 6 times a week and then one longer walk on day 7, the most it has been so far is 13 miles. (and today was my first ice related accident! grin)

mmy question is about the actual walk, i am making costumey type thigs, for our team to wear, but do people wear t shirts under thier bra or not? and footwear, i can't wear trainers as i have very very dodgy ankles, so have to wear big strapping walking boots which i was planning to wear for the moonwalk, would that be a problem?

bigTillyMint Thu 12-Feb-09 17:55:19

mtybf envy

Are you really finding time for 4 - 5 miles 6 times a week?

We are all planning on wearing trainers. Walking boots might not be as flexible, but if you are comfortable in them, I'm sure it's not a problemsmile

BTM, yes i do, and probably if i measured it it could be more.

It does help that i am a dog walker, so i kind of combine work with walking grin

I do live in my walking boots, i think i am going to have to wear them unless i wwant to be taken away by medical staff half way through because of broken bones!

bigTillyMint Fri 13-Feb-09 18:13:23

Waves to all joiners from other threadsmile

Countingthegreyhairs Fri 13-Feb-09 23:10:56

Ah, bigTilly, that's so kind of you ... sniff ..waves gratefully in recognition ...

Um, er to everyone else, we are a collection of walkers from another thread (here):

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/sports_and_exercise/674362-Anyone-interested-in-joining-a-power-walking-thread- for-New

who aren't Moonwalking YET but who are trying to walk regularly and bump up our general fitness levels...

...some of us are following this programme from Good Housekeeping:

www.allaboutyou.com/diet-wellbeing/walking-plan-introduction/v1

- would it please be OK if some of us/all of us join your thread here because all you Moonwalkers seem a bit more active than us and frankly we could do with the motivation (especially me grin) ...

Quite understand if you want to keep it strictly for Moonwalkers though ...

BTW I'm hoping to do a Moonwalk with a friend next year ....'tis a very good cause ...

Of course, come on in!

All welcome,(i am sure the others won't mind) we can all give each other motivation, and a kick in the right direction.

Countingthegreyhairs Sat 14-Feb-09 15:52:29

Thank you very much - much appreciated!

Joining this thread has already spurred me to a 45 minute fast walk last night at 11pm so thanks for the - much needed - motivation!!

Am very impressed by your 10 mile walks .. gives me something to work towards ...and it's getting easier to get out of the house now the weather is improving ...

bigTillyMint Sat 14-Feb-09 18:56:29

11pm Counting!!!!

I would be so tucked up in bed!

Countingthegreyhairs Sat 14-Feb-09 20:21:49

Yes but I spare the general public the sight of me shambling through the streets grin

It's quite strange actually; I've tried for ages to exercise in the early mornings but I just feel ill! I feel much more energetic after 1pm and any time up to midnight. I tried to fight it for ages but I'm definitely an owl not a lark and (even more wierd this) exercising late at night actually makes me feel more energetic in the mornings when my human alarm clock jumps in bed at 6.50 wanting to fight the duvet monster ... I go through a horrible witching hour from 5-6pm when I feel like death though grin

Good luck with your training this w/e everyone ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now