Calling David Lloyd members! Which spin class?

(10 Posts)
FrickOnAStick Thu 17-Nov-16 12:40:33

I've been a DL member for several years but have never braved an actual class. I'd like to give spin a go but don't know which to book. There appears to be several on the timetable and the descriptions aren't that helpful (apart from the terrifyingly named "Sufferfest" series hmm - one to avoid).

Can you help? Do I want 'RPM' or 'Group Cycle' ? Both have pretty similar descriptions with no idea of levels. It'd be helpful if they were coded beginner, intermediate, advanced to throw folk a bone. I'm sure they used to be divided up like that on the members/bookings site but I can't see that anymore. I want a beginners class.

All help appreciated. TIA.

IEatCannibals Thu 17-Nov-16 12:48:10

Ive done rpm, it was fine. Our club has a virtual spin studio, not sure if they all do. So there's no instructor. Its all on a big screen. So you can slack off or leave early!

IEatCannibals Thu 17-Nov-16 12:49:03

I think group cycling has an instructor.

Greenteandchives Thu 17-Nov-16 12:53:18

Try RPM. It's suitable for everyone as you can work at your own level of resistance. Get the instructor to help you set up the bike properly though. It is a great workout and kind to your joints. You will follow the same routine at each class as it is Les Mills branded, therefore you will learn to pace yourself appropriately. It's good fun!

FrickOnAStick Thu 17-Nov-16 12:56:37

Thanks, Cannibals.

Mine has a virtual studio too (They do some of the Les Mills stuff and the SufferFest virtually) but it lists an instructor for RPM & Group Cycle online at my club confused. I'll ask when I'm in tomorrow.

FrickOnAStick Thu 17-Nov-16 12:58:33

Ah. ok. Thanks green. So RPM is just a branded version of the group cycling? Presumably group cycle allows you set up the bike to your own ability level too?

Bertucci Thu 17-Nov-16 13:00:10

RPM is a good start as it's not very hard.

I like Sprint Spinning classes as it's mostly out of the saddle - but better suited after you've done a few classes.

FrickOnAStick Thu 17-Nov-16 13:02:35

"It's not very hard" - famous last words...

FrickOnAStick Thu 17-Nov-16 13:03:36

I think I'll YouTube RPM

lljkk Tue 22-Nov-16 20:56:58

sprint spinning is grueling if you have a bad shoulder. Never again

Bring a towel and put it on the bike before you start (you need it very handy all the time). Most people bring a drink ,too. No matter how cold it is outside, wear as little as possible but actual padded cycle shorts are good. Get there early to spend ages adjusting the machine for your body.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now