Spotify and running

(19 Posts)
Sassybynature Sun 13-Nov-16 12:18:42

So I currently am using an old shuffle to listen to music while running. The problem is my laptop is on its last legs and I don't want to buy a new one as I am happy just to use an iPad. So, I am no longer be able to update my shuffle music via iTunes and I am bored stiff listening to the same tracks.
So. Is there a small device I can transfer my Spotify playlist music to, but not a phone? I don't have a premium account with Spotify, just the free account.

StillMaidOfStars Sun 13-Nov-16 18:06:26

Spotify either streams from the Internet or saves locally (if you select to download to your device). Both require a device connectable to the Internet, with the Spotify app and the ability to navigate.

I have a Premium account and I don't think this adds functionality here. Spotify's business model is not to sell data (music), it is to provide a subscription-based service to listen to it.

StillMaidOfStars Sun 13-Nov-16 18:07:16

I take my phone when running. Is that not an option?

Sassybynature Sun 13-Nov-16 18:51:43

Would rather not carry hold a phone whilst running. Have tried an armband in the past and concerned about being in the woods alone with a expensive phone. Hence wanting a small discreet device. So, if I wanted to use Spotify outside I would need to purchase premium Spotify and use my phone us that the only way?

Itsgettingbetter Sun 13-Nov-16 18:59:18

You don't need to purchase premium to use Spotify on a mobile. The app is free to download and it 'shuffle plays' playlists and has occasional ads. You upgrade to premium only for greater control. I use 'standard'/free on my phone for running and am delighted with it.

If you're concerned about your phone being snatched, why not use a light running jacket with zip up pockets where you can keep your phone discreetly? Works for me smile

Sassybynature Sun 13-Nov-16 19:29:32

thank you Itsgettingbetter.
Does anyone know of a gps based watch which allows you to use Bluetooth headphones and Spotify? So many new gadgets on the market am totally confused.

MrsMook Sun 13-Nov-16 21:38:06

I keep my phone in a waist belt. In the colder months, that and the majority of my wires are under layers of clothes so hidden from view.

StillMaidOfStars Mon 14-Nov-16 10:09:18

I always buy leggings that have a Zion pocket across the small of my back, so my phone fits in there. In winter, there are also jacket pockets to use, but I don't like feeling my phone bounce around.

I have a FitBit Surge and I think, but never tested it, that it will pair via BlueTooth to allow music controls.

StillMaidOfStars Mon 14-Nov-16 10:10:09

Zip pocket, not Zion pocket grin

StillMaidOfStars Mon 14-Nov-16 10:13:37

Sorry, for clarity. It allows you to control the music on your phone. Your phone will relay to the headphones, so you don't need to pair your running device with headphones.

FWIW, I wear plugin running headphones with a band around the back of my head. They feel much more secure, although am currently wearing a headband to keep my ears warm so that wouldn't be a problem right now.

StillMaidOfStars Mon 14-Nov-16 10:15:58

Just checked. Both Blaze and Surge will allow you to pause/skip/volume change on the tracker. Blaze is paired GPS though; Surge is direct GPS.

TheWrathFromHighAtopTheThing Mon 14-Nov-16 10:18:17

You could strap your phone on with an armband under your sleeve?

To be honest I'd rather have my phone on me when running alone in the woods! (and I do, often)

StillMaidOfStars Mon 14-Nov-16 10:18:40

Sorry, post happy!

I would say that I would find changing tracks etc using my tracker very distracting. I keep the screen open on my distance/time/pace measurements, with a swipe for current heart rate. I wouldn't want to fiddle too much at my wrists, trying to change track.

My headphones have got a little toggle on the wire that is more accessible for fiddling!

BusterTheBulldog Mon 14-Nov-16 10:20:52

I think you still need your phone / device with you for any watch connectivity to work

StillMaidOfStars Mon 14-Nov-16 10:22:06

And if you're in the market for a GPS device, I will say that my phone GPS is far superior to FitBit. I never rely on FitBit for run length etc, just approx pace.

StillMaidOfStars Mon 14-Nov-16 10:22:40

Buster YY. Sorry OP if I didn't make that clear.

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Mon 14-Nov-16 10:26:31

I have a belt that my phone and keys zip into. I have it under the top layer so not visible.

Have you looked at downloading music directly onto your phone? I have a Samsung and it's great. I can create play lists and basically download everything available for free.

StillMaidOfStars Mon 14-Nov-16 10:28:45

Buster That was an enthusiatic YY, not a dismissive YY. smile

BusterTheBulldog Mon 14-Nov-16 16:30:09

Thanks stillmaid smile also agree with your comments on fitbits, and also headphones being MUCH better to change tracks.

I have some leggings / run tops with a zip pocket in, find that generally best for phone use- then no one can see what you have!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now