Total exercise newbie gym routine

(7 Posts)
BorisStoleMyWig Mon 17-Oct-16 12:49:13

When I say total exercise newbie I'm not 100% inactive. It's just I'm thinking of joining a gym but I don't know where to start. I googled beginner gym routines but I'm a bit baffled by all the options.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good resource?

I know there will be personal trainers at the gym but I get a bit overwhelmed TBH.

SecretPeanut Mon 17-Oct-16 13:00:41

First i would ask what are your goals? Are you a marathon runner looking to increase your speed and stamina, just feeling a bit meh and looking to lose a few lbs or the next Lara Reiss? (Brazilian female bodybuilder )

BorisStoleMyWig Mon 17-Oct-16 13:07:41

I am very meh. Horribly overweight (about four stone above my healthy bmi top limit). I have hypertension.

I do pole once a week and love it but otherwise it's walking currently. I don't want to be ripped or anything like that - I want to aid my current healthy eating policy and lose a bit of flab. I want to increase the healthiness of my heart. I want to feel better rather than feeling so sluggish. I'm more about how I feel than how I look and at the moment how I feel is making me miserable.

BorisStoleMyWig Mon 17-Oct-16 13:08:19

Thank you for responding. flowers

SecretPeanut Mon 17-Oct-16 13:58:37

I'm a female bodybuilder so my goals are totally different but what we do have is the same mindset of maintaining a healthy heart and general wellbeing.

Firstly i would say make sure your diet is in check, i'm not a fan of fad diets. They don't work in the long run and will make you feel like shit. Feeding ourselves is quite simple, eat clean and often. Just cleaning our diet up can make ourselves feel better and i can guarantee you will lose a few lbs in the process without even realising.

As for exercise, any form of exercise releases a hormone called Endorphins, this makes you feel good. Exercise doesn't need to be complicated, you've just to enjoy what your doing.

There are plenty of gyms about that offer really good deals. I pay about £25 pm for my membership, its doesn't need to be one of these £150 pm fancy places. Any good gym will make you feel welcome and relaxed.

As for workout equipment, its probably very temping to jump on the treadmill and aimlessly walk for an hour......i'm not saying don't it, you should its great cardio but your going to get bored really quickly!

Now you need consider your BP, in addition to the treadmill you need an exercise that isn't going to put too much strain on your heart. Guess what i'm going to suggest....go and lift some iron smile trust me you wont get ripped and you wont look like russian shotputter.

Because of your BP start nice and light, nothing heavy and maybe follow some of these move / routines www.bodybuilding.com/content/womens-strength-training-guide.html

BorisStoleMyWig Mon 17-Oct-16 17:29:40

Thank you so much for this!

I'll take a look at that and see where I get to.

Wrt eating I'm doing loads better than I have in years. I got to the point where I was relying on convenience stuff which was doing me no good at all. I'm currently using one of those meal prep services where everything is fresh and clean which is fab as the portions are big (so I end up saving some for lunch the next day). I feel immediately better when I eat well so using convenience only really offers false benefits. Time really is of the essence (full time work plus full time degree) but the time I spend cooking I'm viewing as an investment, rather than eating shit and feeling like shit but having an extra 30 mins a day.

So, onwards and upwards. I'm going to join as soon as it's payday and hopefully that'll give me a bit of time to research what I want and how to get it!

Tomorrowisanewday Mon 17-Oct-16 21:49:23

SecretPeanut is absolutely right - get one of the instructors to run through a routine with you, alternating cardio and weights. I'm probably about similar to you, and it's making such a difference x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now