Trackers - which would you go by?

(8 Posts)
PollysPoppy Sat 01-Oct-16 12:21:00

I started C25k back in July, used Garmin Vivosmart HR and Map My Run (have MMR linked to MFP). So up until now have just gone by those numbers. Garmin would give me around 56 intensity minutes for a 35 min run. Then Garmin started playing up, couldn't get issues resolved so brought it back and got a Charge 2. Still with me?!

Only Charge 2 for a few days. It's been way out with steps giving me steps for drying my hair, changing beds etc. Went for my first run with it this morning and set it, MMR and my running app on phone for a 25 min run. Charge isn't connected to my phone yet. So Charge 2 gave me 4.11k and 219 cals burned. MMR and running app gave me 3.8k and MMR recorded 298 cals to MFP. And to add insult to injury, charge only gives me 28 intensity minutes even though 88% of running time was spent in my max cardio zone.

There probably isn't that much in it in distance but big difference in calories - especially when I look forward to eating some of them back grin.

So at the end of all that, what's best to use for tracking? Did the two apps on my phone record same distance because they're in the phone or do they track independently? Confused!!

KittyandTeal Sun 02-Oct-16 14:42:27

I use garmin and strava and I've found that garmin is always slower than strava.

I have used strava longer so I use that to compare my runs etc. I use my garmin just as a quick distance marker/intervals etc while I'm out but don't look at it much after I've finished.

I think apps/equipment can vary depending on satellites and the algorithms they use

AuntieStella Mon 03-Oct-16 09:58:14

I use Runkeeper (which can be linked to MFP)

As I haven't tried any others, I don't know how it compares, but it is consistent. It only tracks when you tell it to, or when it detects you've been moving for 15 minutes

yeOldeTrout Mon 03-Oct-16 10:11:36

ah, calories... I tested three different devices against each other on the same run/swim, and then compared the inputs (HR & time) (plus my age-mass-VO2max inputs) to one of the most common online formulae. The HRs matched well, but Of course, I got different results (calorie calculations) from each of the 4 sources.

I trust a tracker with strap to get my heart rate right.
I trust a tracker with GPS to get my route & speed right.
I don't trust any activity monitor to calculate calories correctly, from any source.

Wrist or bra strap foot step counters: I find they are all rubbish too, at the actual footstep counts.

Statelychangers Sun 09-Oct-16 09:12:10

I agree that the calorie tracking can be wildly off. It was on my Fitbit and despite numerous phone calls and a replaced device it continued. Would have been great to be burning over 3000kcal daily but I knew it was nonsense.

PollysPoppy Wed 12-Oct-16 23:26:26

Oh you're all right! How can you possibly know which is accurate and a FitBit at £130 realistically isn't going to get it all right. Mine tells me I've burned over 2000 cals today but I just can't see how that's possible. It only gave me 179 cals for a 22 min, 3.3k run and there is simply no way I have burned 1800 or so cals pottering around. Used 3 apps today - Fitbit gave me 179, Runkeeper 199 and Map My Run a very generous 256. Which, if any, to believe? None .... I need to start relying on instinct! Interestingly, or not, I've used MMR through the 5k app and for 3 weeks since, eaten back max of half my cals and lost 5+kg in 11 weeks so no complaints there.

Think I'll choose one and go by it. Thanks for your opinions/experiences!

ThisUsernameIsAvailable Wed 12-Oct-16 23:34:36

The Fitbit gives you your baseline calories as well as what you have burned which is probably why it's higher than you think.

My baseline is 1400 cal so I would only need to burn 600 to get to 2000, which I can do in one workout sometimes

devilinmyshoes Thu 13-Oct-16 10:51:30

My Garmin is routinely out by almost 1000 calories a day, it thinks my BMR is much lower than it is based solely on my height and weight and it thinks I burn very few calories throughout fairly active days. In reality I maintain my weight on around 2300-2600 calories a day.

I think these things are of very limited use!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now