Running clothes for colder weather

(21 Posts)
BiggerBoatNeeded Fri 23-Sep-16 10:03:25

I'm a newcomer to running, having started C25K in the spring, but am now really hoping to keep it up as it gets chilly. I've got no idea what people wear to stay warm however. Day to day I really feel the cold but hate being too hot when I'm running - what do people do? Wear gloves? Hats? Jackets? I'm flummoxed!

CMOTDibbler Fri 23-Sep-16 10:13:09

I get really hot when I'm running, even though I'm normally cold. I have some great Hind tops which are cosy but not too thick (and they cover your bum) and they have thumb holes so you get warm hands and can then push them up.
Then when it gets really cold, I have a soft shell jacket that I variably wear with just a bra or a base layer. Never wear a hat, but I do have a couple of thermal head bands to keep my ears warm.

BiggerBoatNeeded Fri 23-Sep-16 12:05:37

<Gets shopping list out> So Hind tops, shell jacket, headband. That's brilliant thanks, I just didn't know where to start. Cold ears give me earache so a thermal headband could be a lifesaver. Must not let DH catch me wearing said headband, he'd find that endlessly amusing!

MrsMook Fri 23-Sep-16 21:57:22

I have different layers. Sometimes I'll start the run in a loop close to home when I warm up, then chuck surplus layers into my front garden as I pass.

I've got longer, thicker leggings, long sleeve tops, a light shower proof hoodie that has bright colours and high vis, gloves and generally wear a cap as it keeps rain or low sun out of my eyes as well as floppy hair.

I tend to find that my leg muscles are happier if I keep them warm.

ClaudiaApfelstrudel Fri 23-Sep-16 22:05:07

these are essentials for a good cold weather running top for me:

a good insulated hood - for when you begin the run. You can take it down as you warm up
a zip high collar - as above
thumb holes in sleeves that can be rolled up so not too tight
a hairband with ear cover
a gillette for when it's really cold you can put it over the top

I tend to try and wear shorts for as long as possible. It's never the legs that get too cold for me. Only wear leggings in Jan/Feb if possible

Statelychangers Fri 23-Sep-16 22:09:53

Thicker winter tights - always. Thermal first layer, sometimes another layer, merino fleecy half zip top and jacket. Hats, snoods, thin gloves to start with - as winter progresses they get thicker. Running shoes with gortex lining, in the rain and snow.

BiggerBoatNeeded Fri 23-Sep-16 22:52:42

This is all a marvellous excuse for shopping. I love shopping for sports wear more than normal clothes, feels practically virtuous. Plus like the idea of warming up then discarding layers. Many thanks all.

Wolfiefan Fri 23-Sep-16 22:55:01

Not at all what you asked! I have a fleetfoot from work play bags. You can thread a jacket through it. I am always stuck for what to do with layers I take off!

lljkk Sat 24-Sep-16 08:18:27

I would melt in what others are describing, and I think I feel the cold quite badly. I suppose there's an element of trial & error.

80sWaistcoat Sat 24-Sep-16 08:26:05

Fluorescent stuff if you are running at night, nearly ran over a bloke jogging all in black last night along an unlit road....

Statelychangers Sat 24-Sep-16 10:30:58

I would wear lights if I was running in an unlit road at night.

ChickyDuck Sat 24-Sep-16 10:54:27

Personally I get quite warm so for the coldest days I tend to go for a long sleeved top over a short sleeved top (can take off and tie round waist), full length leggings, thin cotton running gloves and a nice cosy headband for my ears 😊

lljkk Sat 24-Sep-16 13:27:57

I can't imagine running in full tights, they look like boiling hell to me.
On a very cold day (? 1-2 degrees below zero), I would probably have: neck buff or hat (over ears), neck buff (on neck), gloves, possibly sleeves, short sleeve shirt, long sleeve top (take off around waste once I warm up). Trainers of course & capri type loose trousers with deep pockets, you can get sporty versions like this (to stuff items into when required).

rightsforwomen Mon 26-Sep-16 13:41:26

Haven't read the replies, but I am a very keen runner.

In the very cold I wear long tights and longer socks (ankle length not the trainer line size ones) - I have long legs and don't like a gap between sock and tight!

Running bra, then either a single long sleeved top with thumb holes or the same but with a vest or t.shirt underneath, OR 2 long sleeved tops (unusual). Only when it's raining do I wear a jacket.

My threshold for taking gloves is quite low - I have a very thin pair.
Rarely wear a hat, but I do have a Buff that I wear as beanie if it's very, very cold or I'm running a long way at night and need my head torch to sit nicely. Sometimes wear a Buff around my neck (they're easy to remove and tie around your wrist if you get too warm).

The trick is to leave the house warm - not go outside and get cold while you fart arse around with Garmins or trainers. Get everything ready, put it on and GO. You can stop for a breather or stretch once you've been running/jogging for a bit.

The hardest cold conditions are ice and hail.

BiggerBoatNeeded Mon 26-Sep-16 15:33:48

There have been some really handy tips building up on this thread - thanks again. I think a lot of it will indeed be trial and error but I've definitely got somewhere to start now. First purchase will be a long sleeved top with thumb holes, headband thing for ears and something fluorescent so I don't get run over!

sycamore54321 Mon 26-Sep-16 23:29:45

For me, the most important is my hands - I have lightweight running mittens from Asics, where you can fold back the finger part if you get too warm. I find gloves just seem to isolate each finger to freeze it separately but the mittens are the business.

I also like a baseball cap to keeps head warm and add a wide headband with ear covering if really chilly.

ChickyDuck Tue 27-Sep-16 06:45:23

If you get really thin cotton running gloves, when you get too hot you can just shove them down your bra or waistband when you take them off! Likewise, a buff/snood can be tucked in a waistband or tied round you waist when you warm up.

chutneypig Tue 27-Sep-16 07:13:23

DD and I have Trailheads hats for colder weather, with a ponytail loop. DD really feels the cold as she's small so will wear it all over the colder months. I tend to warm up too much but still find it very good in the dead of winter. I use my buff as a handy intermediate but that doesn't cover my ears so much.

Hs2Issue Tue 27-Sep-16 08:23:17

Ice grips are very useful to stop you looking like Bambi when it gets freezingly cold. Mine are yaktrax and really good.

KanyesVest Tue 27-Sep-16 15:28:56

MrsMook
a light shower proof hoodie that has bright colours

I like the sound of your hoodie - can you link? Thanks

EmpressKnowsWhereHerTowelIs Sat 08-Oct-16 19:07:08

This is the thread I came on to start. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now