Hip Pain after running - who will fix it?

(9 Posts)
RunningHurts Mon 12-Sep-16 19:44:26

I have recently managed to get into a routine of running at least one else, preferable twice (occasionally 3 times) a week, having worked through C25k. Been able to run 5km for a couple of months now.

The last couple of runs I've done, I've had hip pain after. Inside of hips (both) / groin area. I have (a long time ago in my university football playing days) previously had a rotated pelvis treated by Physio. Expect might be something similar.

I need to see someone to get it sorted. But who? Physio? Osteopath? Chiropodist? (Have orthotics to correct my wonky ankles, which is possibly relevant and came from a chiropodist)

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 12-Sep-16 19:45:56

Sports physio

RunningHurts Mon 12-Sep-16 19:53:52

Thanks! And I am sure it will be fine 😉
Running is proving to be more expensive than it was supposed to be...

yeOldeTrout Mon 12-Sep-16 20:13:33

google "iliotibial band"

MrsMook Mon 12-Sep-16 21:02:35

I see an osteopath. I started going when I was still struggling with SPD 3 months postnatal. I still go as I have a nighly body that always creates some twinges/knots/ tightness to deal with. They've helped a lot with my pelvis and groin.

RunningHurts Mon 12-Sep-16 23:30:27

So, Physio 1, osteo 1
Not entirely helpful with the decision making!
Found details of a local sports Physio I will try tomorrow

FitnessFad Mon 12-Sep-16 23:32:37

Definitely physio. I had this exact same thing when I started running regularly. Progressed to both hips and was agony a few hours after a run.
Physio was painful but well worth it, hips are fine now. I recommend acupuncture (which the physio can do) - bit uncomfortable but really worked!

RowenaDahl Sat 17-Sep-16 08:04:11

I'm currently seeing an Osteopath for what I thought was hip pain. Turns out it was my sacrocilliac joint and middle back.

Feeling much better than I was!

HardleyWorthit Sat 17-Sep-16 08:12:09

Physio- would be better going private to see someone with more of a sports bias.

As an aside if you need to keep seeing on an ongoing basis an osteopath/chiro/physio to treat your pain then they are not doing their job properly and will be getting a lot of money to keep you 'ticking over'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now