Fitbits massively inaccurate

(9 Posts)
ivykaty44 Mon 12-Sep-16 19:04:29

Which of course could be dangerous

It was shown on the trust me I'm a doctor show so I've had a google

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/12086337/Fitbit-heart-rate-tracking-is-dangerously-inaccurate

Apparently the watch and hrm chest strap does work

So I guess fitbits is going to be a waste of time. And could well be dangerous if it's reading well under during sport/exercise

foodiefil Mon 12-Sep-16 19:06:16

That link isn't working but for me my Fitbit tracks my resting heart rate about right but I'm not sure on active heart rate but that's because it's not in the right position to do so.

What did the show say?

ivykaty44 Mon 12-Sep-16 19:21:20

help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1136

ivykaty44 Mon 12-Sep-16 19:22:10

www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/12086337/Fitbit-heart-rate-tracking-is-dangerously-inaccurate-lawsuit-claims.html

yeOldeTrout Mon 12-Sep-16 20:33:54

I don't understand the problem.
People might work themselves too hard or might not notice their heart is going beserk?
If your heart is working too hard, don't you usually feel weird or even like total crap... how does the Fitbit estimate create danger???

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 12-Sep-16 20:35:46

Ye because people aim for a certain heart rate - to get into the fat burning zone; for example. If the Fitbit is saying you're using 60% of your capacity and need to push harder to get into that zone, people will push on, thinking they are just unfit and not working hard enough.

Id be surprised if it caused serious issues but it's a risk, and it's disappointing they are so inaccurate given the cost.

yeOldeTrout Mon 12-Sep-16 20:43:15

There are dozens of different zone calculators, so why believe only one?
Are people sheep who can't be expected to think for selves & instead do what the gizmo tells them to?
I can set my zones where I like on my HRM (not that I use zones, anyway).
Pah.

Statelychangers Mon 12-Sep-16 20:48:33

Mine massively overestimates my calorie burn, good job I don't take it too seriously...imo it's a bit of fun - certainly not an accurate piece of equipment, I got it as a gift from dh....it's a pedometer and the challenges with friends are fun but that's it.

eurochick Mon 12-Sep-16 20:51:05

I find mine pretty accurate. It's not supposed to be a medical device.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now