Sort out my intense exercise regime

(4 Posts)
ricepolo Sun 04-Sep-16 08:55:22

Right. I know I exercise too much (particularly in combination with my activity levels during the day). But I've been doing this for a while now and am struggling to get out of the rut. So please can someone with some exercise knowledge help me work out how I can reduce the time I exercise but still stay toned, slim and feeling good about myself?

Currently I work out six days a week for about an hour: one day is cardio (elliptical), then the next is BodyPump (I use a youtube video and have the equipment at home) / kettlebells etc. Then back to cardio. I also walk a lot (23k steps+/day).

I'm very busy during the day (three kids, p/t job, big volunteering role etc) and am not getting a huge amount of sleep (I get up at 5am to workout before the kids wake up). I was looking through some photos yesterday and realised that I look worse now than I did when DC3 was very small: I look haggard and drained. So essentially something is wrong in my lifestyle.

Any advice? I exercise to stay healthy and fit, but also like being slim (to be brutally honest!) and also need to exercise for my sanity: I feel horrible if I don't exercise - really itchy all day long. I can't switch a workout to yoga or something like that: it'd bore me within minutes....

Help!

Thefitfatty Sun 04-Sep-16 09:02:54

If you're walking that much naturally (not forcing yourself too) ditch the cardio workouts. Focus on the kettle bells and body pump about 3 to 4 times a week for half an hour (no more) and some light stretching.

cathyandclare Sun 04-Sep-16 09:06:29

Why don't you switch to HITT for 20-30 mins with one long low impact session a week and 1-2 rest days? I think high intensity for a shorter time is meant to have more effect. Joe Wicks/Katya Itines and LNDN muscle I think do programmes and there's loads on youtube.

ivykaty44 Mon 05-Sep-16 13:57:35

Do you walk alone? Swap to push bike to reduce your time spent walking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now