Yoga tips

(10 Posts)
blitzgirl Fri 02-Sep-16 08:53:17

Morning all,
I'm going my first yoga class next week and I was wondering if there are any tips or advice which might help me not make a faux par while there smile I've only ever done it in my living room via you tube as I've never been confident to go to a class but I've finally found an instructor I feel confident with.

Is there any specific items or clothing that I should take or wear?

Also is there any kind of class etiquette I need to know about?

I've never done any kind of exercise class before and I'm nervous and excited all at the same time!

TeaRexit Fri 02-Sep-16 08:55:09

My tip - dont do it.

I felt like someone had used me as a punch bag the next day grin

stay in bed instead

EmzDisco Fri 02-Sep-16 09:26:11

Don't worry and enjoy it, remember that everyone will be focussing on themselves

Make sure your top doesn't flash your boobs in downward dog!

Wear whatever comfy stuff you wear at home

What kind of yoga class is it? And what YouTube vids do you like?

blitzgirl Fri 02-Sep-16 09:38:22

I'm not sure what type of yoga she does, it's based at the place where I work so I've watched through the windows a few times to get a feel for what they do. I'm not so clued up on the different types to be honest but I will definitely be asking on Wednesday. I used Yoga With Adrienne on YouTube as there was a 20 minute beginners video and then it went from there. Unfortunately dd didn't appreciate watching mummy wobbling all over the living room so it was never a relaxing experience, hence starting a class. I'm definitely going down the sports bra and tight best top route as knowing my luck something would pop out at some point grin

blitzgirl Fri 02-Sep-16 09:41:27

Tearexit - I am a bit worried I'll feel like I've done ten rounds with Tyson the next day but stubbornly hoping it will get better as the weeks go on confused

EmzDisco Fri 02-Sep-16 09:42:19

It's a great thing to do! I've tried a few random types over the years, but currently doing it at home around baby DDs naps. I find it sorts me right out!

Good luck with your class, let us know how it goes smile

blitzgirl Fri 02-Sep-16 09:47:50

Thank you EmzDisco, I will do smile I also started the 30 day yoga challenge via Adriennes website but fell behind due to dds yoga issues! I've saved all the emails though so I might give it a go again at a later date. It's something I've wanted to do for years but something always came up and it got sidelined and tbh I'm not the gym going excercising type so something like yoga really appeals to me

Wellthatsit Fri 02-Sep-16 09:49:51

If you feel like you have done ten rounds the next day, you will have probably pushed yourself too hard.

One of the best things I have heard from yoga teachers is to have 'no ambition'. You need to stretch but it's a gradual thing, not an aggressive thing.

My advice would be to not look at anyone else or compare yourself in the class.

Everybody is shaped differently so find different things easy and hard. Do what feels good not painful.

Also, I remember feeling very weak at the beginning but you soon build your strength so don't panic if some positions feel difficult to hold for more than a few seconds.

I go to a class with lots of other fairly rubbish people, which is good for me. Not sure I would cope in a class with lots of young very lithe bodies grin

babybarrister Fri 02-Sep-16 09:59:22

Remember that that there is NO-ONE able to do every posture well ....
It is your journey - not anyone else's and that whatever you do, if you practise you will do it better and conversely would have done it worse if you do not continue ....
Think of it as a saving plan for your retirement in relation to ease of movement too!

EmzDisco Fri 02-Sep-16 10:05:16

Bit cheesy but I like the phrase "it's yoga practise not yoga perfect!"

You can end up achey after the first couple of sessions if you use muscles that don't normally get a look in, but stick with it! I did some new postures yesterday, just simple lunge type things, no upside down legs behind your head stuff, and am a bit achey, just as I haven't moved like that for a while!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now