New bike advice

(18 Posts)
LunaLambBhuna Fri 19-Aug-16 18:12:41

Hello all.

Not sure if this is really the right place but here goes...

I would like to start cycling to work. Although I have a mountain bike already I think I would prefer to be more upright and also have a basket/storage for my work stuff.

I have been looking at the Pendleton bikes in Halfords but not sure I want to spend that much. Any recommendations for decent slightly cheaper alternatives?

Thanks!

lljkk Fri 19-Aug-16 21:18:26

£250 for a decent bike IS cheap.

LunaLambBhuna Fri 19-Aug-16 21:59:11

Thanks but not that helpful! hmm

BlueFolly Sat 20-Aug-16 00:05:04

How far is it?

What sort of terrain - will it be on roads etc?

I find a basket can be quite destabilising, so I would buy a backpack instead.

You probably want a hybrid - sort of in between a road bike and a mountain bike.

£250 is cheap - so maybe find something that you want and then have a look on e bay for a stolen second hand one.

lljkk Sat 20-Aug-16 05:57:19

Cheap bikes are bad value because they go nasty after about 100 miles. The parts literally wear in very badly & you won't want to ride it any more.

If you only want to ride it for 100 miles b4 you lose all interest then a Argos £90 special will do you ok.

Rudymentary Sat 20-Aug-16 06:34:04

Hello smile
Cycling to work is a great idea!
Could you tell us the distance, whether it's through city or on rural roads, hilly, flat etc?

Thanks

Ifailed Sat 20-Aug-16 06:44:03

having worked in a bike shop, I can tell you that the cheaper bikes are basically rubbish! They tend to be over heavy, with very poor quality components that either wear or break quickly.

The Pendleton bikes are on the cusp of being "cheap", I would suggest you look elsewhere. A basket looks nice, but can be cumbersome and downright dangerous if overloaded at low speeds, I suggest you look at a backpack or panniers.

Tell us about your journey (on the road, paths etc. how long, how hilly)?

As you intend to cycle to work, have you asked your employer if they are in a Ride to Work scheme? This will allow you to buy a bike, helmet, lights, clothes etc at least a 32% (if you are a basic rate tax-payer) cheaper.

Justdontaskhowiam Sat 20-Aug-16 10:33:05

Ooh good I was about to start a thread on the same thing. Does anyone know if claud butler explorer bikes are good for 10 miles of road and country lanes? Hope you don't mind me asking on this thread op rather than start a very similar one.

LunaLambBhuna Sat 20-Aug-16 10:58:07

Thanks. That's a bit more of what i was looking for! I wondered if Pendleton was just paying for a name? I have been looking on eBay and gumtree but don't have much idea of what to look for.

Journey to work is literally about a mile and a half, through a town/residential area with a slight hill. It's walking distance but I would like to get there faster!! I'm a teacher so will have a laptop, iPad but not intending to take books. I have just bought a new back pack.

Ask away Just

LunaLambBhuna Sat 20-Aug-16 11:00:03

Oh! I'm not sure about the ride to work scheme. A friend has done that with the London Fire Brigade but I don't think my school is participating.

SlowComfortableShrew Sat 20-Aug-16 11:16:53

You are totally paying for the name with the Pendleton. Liv are good bikes, and are about £300

Rudymentary Sat 20-Aug-16 11:43:29

Go and have a look at the bike you have and let us know what it is.
You could spend money adapting that one, putting on thinner tyres etc.

Certainly not worth buying another one into you've tried rising that one for a while

LunaLambBhuna Sat 20-Aug-16 17:39:06

I've got a ridgeback mountain bike.

I ride it about once a week but I want a more upright seating position. My lower back gives me a fair bit of jip.

thisgirlrides Sat 20-Aug-16 19:31:30

I would look at getting a second hand Danish bike

Ifailed Sun 21-Aug-16 10:58:20

Justdontaskhowiam

the claud butler explorer bikes look okish, but a but pricey for what they are? As to whether it could handle 10 miles, I'd be surprised if it couldn't.

One thing to bear in mind, don't feel pushed into getting a 'ladies' bike. Apart from obvious things like different saddles and sometimes absence of a crossbar, they only differ from unisex bikes by assuming the rider has a slightly shorter reach than a man, and go down to a smaller size. Try out the unisex version of a bike, if it fits you go for it, can always change the saddle.

Ifailed Sun 21-Aug-16 10:59:44

LunaLambBhuna,
if your school is an academy, they may not have a ride to work scheme, but LEAs should? No harm is asking though - and they are quite easy to set up.

LunaLambBhuna Sun 21-Aug-16 13:02:15

Thanks Ifailed. School is an academy. I will send an email to find out whether they do it or not.

Justdontaskhowiam Sun 21-Aug-16 18:47:30

Thanks ifailed :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now