Running after finishing C25K app

(9 Posts)
ChesterFuckingDraws Fri 19-Aug-16 15:20:23

I'm getting ahead of myself a bit as I've only finished the c25k app last week but I'm now enjoying running and go out 3/4 times a week depending when I can fit it in round working shifts.
I run for 30-40mins and usually do 3-4.5miles so I'm still very much plodding and won't be winning any races, however, In time I'd like to try and get up to running 10k, any ideas how I progress?
I've got the 10k app and thought I could alternate that with my usual runs, would that work? Exercising as a whole is new to me so any suggestions are welcome smile

ChesterFuckingDraws Sat 20-Aug-16 19:26:41

Hopefully bump 😀

mumsnitter Sat 20-Aug-16 19:32:57

Hi there, well done on forming such a great habit! Have you got a park run near to you? Fun to watch yourself getting faster , also I really started to progress speed and distance when I ran with others who knew a bit more about running. It's also fun and social, is there a group near to you? Running attracts the nicest kind of people grinwink

mumsnitter Sat 20-Aug-16 19:33:47

Also I'm sure that the 10km app you mention would be great

ChesterFuckingDraws Sat 20-Aug-16 22:08:45

Thanks, it still feels a bit of a chore but I'm starting to like it more m! I do have park runs nearby however working shifts will stop me being able to go.
I might look into running clubs and see if they'd be suitable for me.

mumsnitter Sun 21-Aug-16 12:06:23

I only park run 1 x a month myself, but it's running in a group once a week that's really pushed me. Left to my own devices I'm a lazy bugger grin

ChesterFuckingDraws Mon 22-Aug-16 01:01:02

That's about as often as I'd make it along, so I might give it a shot. I've managed to force myself out after work 3 out of 4nights this set of shifts (and running at this time means I run way faster cos it's dark and I'm a bit scared 😀) definitely going to see if I can find a beginners running club to push myself a bit more

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Fri 02-Sep-16 21:37:11

Hi. I completed c25k about a year ago and have kept up running. I got to 10k from 5k by running 3 times a week. 2 of the runs were 5k. Then one of the runs I lengthened by 500 metres a time. So took me 10 weeks to get to 10k. I also started putting some hills in which increased my speed on the flat. Best of luck!

SABeeTiger Fri 02-Sep-16 21:43:17

Yes you need variety, try fartlek training {not sure of spelling} or try a training plan for a race, even if you aren't entering it, they are good for increasing stride distance and intervals to run faster. I'm on week 6 of c to 5k, but I've done it before, then injury and surgery got in the way at different times, I am looking forward to racing again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now