29 degrees out there - do I go for a run?

(20 Posts)
HoundOfTheBasketballs Mon 18-Jul-16 17:59:38

What's the general consensus on running in this heat?
I've not been running as often as I want to recently and feel like I should take the opportunity of a free hour and get out there.
I'm probably only going to do about three miles. Shall I just go, take some water with me and have a slow jog, or should I just leave it and wait a couple of days until it's cooled down?

Hs2Issue Mon 18-Jul-16 18:02:06

I'm thinking about going tonight at about 9 (or even worse tomorrow morning at 6) just to avoid the heat. I need to go as my running has gone to pot lately.

sonlypuppyfat Mon 18-Jul-16 18:05:02

Run? It's nearly killed me making a salad for dinner

icklekid Mon 18-Jul-16 18:05:22

I can only run early morning or late eve when it's this hot (and when I'm not 34 weeks pregnant!)

MandyFl0ss Mon 18-Jul-16 18:05:59

I'm sweating just typing on my keyboard

AprilLoveJ Mon 18-Jul-16 18:06:00

grin at sonly !

CatherineDeB Mon 18-Jul-16 18:08:18

I don't do anything outside in this heat but DH used to run marathons all over the world and live/train in hot countries and it doesn't bother him at all.

I had a second shower after watering all my veg! 6 watering cans and probably a 240 metre walk backwards and forwards to the tap.

I am now sat in a darkened room.

HoundOfTheBasketballs Mon 18-Jul-16 18:09:33

Hs2, that's my problem, I haven't been running enough lately and I feel like I'm just using the heat as another excuse. But I don't want to go out, run for five mins, feel like I'm dying and have to come home!
I can't leave it much longer to decide as I'm going out at 7:30. I wish I could go out at 9pm, that would be much better.

museumum Mon 18-Jul-16 18:10:06

My limit is about 24. Any hotter and I get headaches no matter how much I drink.

Maplessglobe Mon 18-Jul-16 18:11:24

I would. But I have run in far hotter than this.

Light clothes, running cap, water to douse yourself in.

Enjoy!

Hensintheskirting Mon 18-Jul-16 18:13:42

I was very pleased with myself after going out and doing my very first run of C25K last night. Went out at 8 and it was probably about 25 degrees by then (I live in south east). It was fine - I stayed in the shade and sweated a great deal but I survived!

HoundOfTheBasketballs Mon 18-Jul-16 18:20:44

I'm going!!
I'll let you all know how it went in about half an hour! grin

GreenSand Mon 18-Jul-16 18:46:49

Go for it!!! Does it matter if you only manage 15 mins?? Your out and running, which is more than most.
I gave up running at about 35C at 7 am but I'd had a few months of getting used to it. Will start again in the Autumn ( current daily min is 30, max 48!)

HoundOfTheBasketballs Mon 18-Jul-16 19:05:26

Wow Greensand, that is some heat!

I'm back in one piece, and it wasn't nearly as awful as I thought it would be. 3 miles in a very respectable 29:49.
I went for a very flat route along the river, most of which was shaded and stopped every half mile to take on water.
I'm now literally dripping sweat all over my kitchen floor. <attractive>

HoundOfTheBasketballs Mon 18-Jul-16 19:06:37

And well done hens for starting c25k. You'll be hooked in no time!

GreenSand Mon 18-Jul-16 19:08:00

Great going Hound
Let's just say I'm on a plane as soon as the summer holidays start!!!
I run in the "winter" and swim in the spring and autumn. I sit under the aircon or leave the country in the summer!!!!

lilacclery Mon 18-Jul-16 19:18:22

Hoping to go in the morning tomo before it gets warm but went last two evenings & survived!

lljkk Mon 18-Jul-16 20:47:13

I had a great hilly run today. I soaked (under a tap) my my t-shirt thoroughly before setting off, which probably helped a lot. At my fastest I am still hugely slower than OP. Gawd, it would take me another 5 minutes if I had to carry & drink water along the way, too.

Damson9 Wed 20-Jul-16 10:34:19

My husband and I started doing the C25K last month. This Monday evening, things did look a little warm to say the least, so rather than doing our usual running around the paths in fields near our house, which would have put us in direct sunlight, we treated ourselves to a trip to our local country park and went running through the woods so we'd be mostly in shade.

It was a lovely change from our usual jaunt out and, as a result, we've decided to buy a season pass for all the parks' car parks so we can go running there more often!

HoundOfTheBasketballs Fri 22-Jul-16 20:22:03

That's lovely Damson.
It's always nice to find new routes, I'm child free tomorrow so I might take inspiration from you and go somewhere new for a change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now