Can anyone help me find an activity to replace running?

(23 Posts)
Zame Sat 16-Jul-16 22:36:14

Please? I completed couch to 5k, got up to running 10k regularly but I think I got shin splints from what I've read here and elsewhere and my knees are twingyband ache.
I enjoyed running as I can do it whenever I have time and wherever I like, and I liked being able to see how my fitness was improving as I was able to run for longer and faster.

Has anyone experienced similar and found an activity to replace running that they enjoyed as much? I haven't run for 3 weeks, then did a short one today and the pains haven't gone away yet.
Thanks

Zame Sat 16-Jul-16 22:37:17

I've been going to the gym, using the bikes and the stepping thing but it's just not as fun

mumsnitter Sun 17-Jul-16 01:31:59

can you self refer for some NHS physio? may take some time but well worth it... I manage a biffy knee with it. any of my friends enjoy swimming in a similar way. Good luck x

mumsnitter Sun 17-Jul-16 01:32:32

Many even!

Ilovecharliecat Sun 17-Jul-16 02:25:28

Look for a crossfit gym in your area, it's a really good all over work out, just a suggestion

Migrant2 Sun 17-Jul-16 02:49:49

I had similar problems, then I found Jeff Galloway's run, walk, run method where you don't run constantly. This took all the strain off my joints and I can now run pain free. As a bonus I'm even a little faster than when I run continuously. Several marathons later and it's all going well. I've even done an ultra marathon with this method.
You an Google "Jeff Galloway" or buy his books online.
Hope I don't sound like a sales pitch, but this has really changed the game for me and allowed me to stay running and be pain free. Good luck!

Zame Sun 17-Jul-16 08:59:06

Thank you all! I'm considering visiting the dr as its so persistent. One of my friends does crosscut and she looks absolutely amazing, she seems really passionate about it too so I'll check out where my nearest is.
Googling Jeff Galloway right now, I would love love love to run again

Migrant2 Sun 17-Jul-16 09:13:40

Galloway takes a little getting used to but it really does work. You'll be back out there in no time!!!

Zame Sun 17-Jul-16 09:55:23

Ordered the book! So excited thanks for the suggestion

Cross fit seems a bit too expensive right now sadly but somethings I'll look into in the future

sweetkitty Sun 17-Jul-16 09:58:39

I'm the same missing running. I have hypermobile SI joints which means my whole pelvis is unstable also been just diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

Swimming is supposed to help but the pool is so cold it hurts me, Pilates hasn't got the same effect as running. I still walk the dog an hour a day but again not the same

Migrant2 Sun 17-Jul-16 10:05:10

Sweet kitty, would the Galloway method help you too? By not running constantly it is so much more gentle on the body. I currently run 60 seconds, sometimes 90 and then walk for 30 seconds. Even when I'm marathon training I only run 30 mins twice a week and a longer one on the weekend. That gets me to a perfectly respectable marathon finish time and I feel great at the finish. After the London marathon I went shopping in the afternoon! If you just want to run and enjoy it and you're not chasing a Rio entry, this could really help you.
Infomercial over. Sorry, bit over enthusiastic....

Waitingfordolly Sun 17-Jul-16 10:17:12

I did kettlebells for a bit, which I loved, but then that injured me too. I swim a lot, but that depends a bit on what your local pool is like / whether you can go to a nice gym with a pool. I would like to do outdoor swimming but nowhere very near us. A friend who gave up running got very into cycling through the Breeze women's cycling network.

lljkk Sun 17-Jul-16 11:15:35

If you want the endorphin high of running then I think only spinning will do, party because you need something that is non-impact to give your shins time to recover.

BaltiPie Sun 17-Jul-16 11:23:22

I love hula hooping! It's low impact and a great cardio workout and improves balance, posture, strength, flexibility and muscle tone. Great fun too!

Zame Sun 17-Jul-16 13:11:17

Ah sweetkitty sorry to hear you're not able to run either, do you think you'll give the walk run method a go?
The gym I go to does spinning and kettle bell classes so I'll sign myself up for them! ive been lurking round the entrance when the spinning class is on, trying to build up the courage to sign up.
My daughters got a hula hoop, I'll have a crack at it, if nothing else I'll have a laugh

londonmummy1966 Sun 17-Jul-16 14:25:19

Another vote for Galloway here - I'm building up for a half at the moment and it is so much kinder on the old joints. Zame get your GP to refer you for some physio. Nothing really quite beats running but when I had a stress fracture in my foot I did intervals in the pool or on the rowing machine in lieu of my shorter runs and a my long weekly session on an exercise bike (which has the advantage over a run in that you can read a book or newspaper whilst on it...)

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Jul-16 14:31:12

Cycling - similar convenience. DJ started cycling as a term as knee problems made him give up cricket. Very little impact on knees on cycling.

Lucked Sun 17-Jul-16 14:38:54

Cycling outdoors or spinning.

iwouldgoouttonight Sun 17-Jul-16 14:39:36

When I couldn't run because of a similar injury I did spinning as someone else suggested. I have to admit I didn't enjoy it as much because, like you, the thing I like about running is you can just leave the house and start, whenever you fancy. I didn't like being tied to a class time.

Having said that, it did massively improve my fitness and helped my injury recover, so it was worth it. I'm back to running again now and don't do spinning any more. Maybe spinning combined with the run/walk things others have suggested.

Latium123 Sun 17-Jul-16 14:42:08

Crossfit, kettlebells and / or yoga. I got shin splints from running and once I accepted I couldn't run anymore I started yoga and have never looked back. I am so much stronger with better posture etc.

Millipedewithherfeetup Sun 17-Jul-16 14:45:52

Which book did you buy op ?, on amazon now and not sure which one to order ! Thanks

Zame Sun 17-Jul-16 18:22:53

I went for 'the run walk run method' hope that's the right one, got t for about £8 including delivery as its a second hand one. Fingers crossed it'll help.
I'll definitely give spinning a try, what've I got to lose. I reckon if I try enough new things I'll find one I enjoy , definitely yoga sounds good also. I could do with strange thing my core

Zame Sun 17-Jul-16 18:23:05

Strengthening

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now